Small Woodland Owners' Group

Name Change

Anything to do with SWOG Membership, meetings and find people with skills to offer

Postby Ryan » Fri May 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi all.

If you buy a wood called, lets say, One Branch Wood, can you change it's name when you become the new owner?

Thanks for any advise.

Ryan

Postby tracy » Fri May 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Yes, you can - we did. One thing to think about though, is that your name for the wood will go down in history - for example, archaeologists often use the name to learn something of the history of the wood - like River Coppice, or Lancaster plantation might tell you a lot about the woodland. Some people have changed the name to be in memory of someone too. You just have to tell the land registry.

tracy

Postby greyman » Fri May 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Can't you only change it at the time of purchase and registry though?

greyman

Postby Underwoodsman » Fri May 22, 2009 5:19 pm

You can call it what you like although it would be best to avoid confusing names i.e. similar name to whole site if it is part of a woodlotted site. It would also be best to stick to its original name if it appears on the OS maps also if your new wood has a Forestry Commission grant scheme running on it this could confuse them and the Rural Payments Agency, although the latter don't need much confusing.

Underwoodsman

Postby RichardKing » Sat May 23, 2009 7:17 pm

When I bought my wood I assumed that the name "Three Springs Wood" referred to the water features, but now realise that in fact it was a reference to old car springs !

RichardKing

Return to Member issues, skills register and questions