Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chainsaw courses

Anything to do with SWOG Membership, meetings and find people with skills to offer

Chainsaw courses

Postby Alex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 pm

I've been pondering about whether to go on one, I use a chainsaw for logging only, but I really want to do more with forestry on the farm. Also learning to maintain it, sharpen the chain etc.

How much do courses coston average? I've looked into one, and it was well over £300, for a poor farmer like myself, that's a bit steep.
Alex

Re: Chainsaw courses

Postby splodger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 pm

if you both want to learn a bit about chainsaws - ie. using in the wood and maintaining etc - but don't need a certificate (just knowledge / expertise/ practise) and aren't bothered about "qualified" instructor - then (as i have offered/mentioned before on here) my dad offers free advice and tuition - mostly in green woodworking - but am sure he would extend that to chainsaw use - he's trained me up well enough ;) - location hamphire/wiltshire border

all he asks for in return (other than a few can of guiness) is an hour or so of help in the wood - but if you are using the chainsaws - that might just be helpful enough

he is in his 70's - and struggling with cancer - so the offer to glean any info from him will not be there for that much longer

just thought i'd offer - it's no replacement for a certified course - but might be better than not having a bit of extra "tuition" ;)
splodger

Postby Sparrowhatchforestry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:37 pm

When I did my initial training Lantra were heavily subsidising chainsaw courses if you were employed in agriculture or horticulture for more than 50% of the time. The course you would be looking at would be NPTC CS30 and CS31 or the lantra equivalent - chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting and felling and processing of small trees- in my opinion this is an essential minimum if you are using a chainsaw and the minimum you require legally if you are using a chainsaw in a professional capacity (Unless you have grandfather rights as a farmer)
www.Sparrowhatchforestry.co.uk
[email protected]
Sparrowhatchforestry

Postby splodger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 pm

you'd be more than welcome - (although we don't usually let people stop over - as it is a secure site and locked up at night) to start with maybe just come for a day out (you could always then re-visit ;) )have a good chat with my dad - he's a handy bloke to know - if you came pre-purchase of your wood i reckon you'd be able to guage what to look for / hope for / go for - in a slightly different light - offers there ;)
splodger

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Very kind of you, if I lived closed, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks for the advice all.
Alex

Postby Terry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Sparrowhatchforestry wrote:When I did my initial training Lantra were heavily subsidising chainsaw courses if you were employed in agriculture or horticulture for more than 50% of the time. The course you would be looking at would be NPTC CS30 and CS31 or the lantra equivalent - chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting and felling and processing of small trees- in my opinion this is an essential minimum if you are using a chainsaw and the minimum you require legally if you are using a chainsaw in a professional capacity (Unless you have grandfather rights as a farmer)

I believe the CS courses are in the process of being replaced and the CS30/31 are I believe now combined in one award, but may be wrong on that one. Either way all the CS courses are being re-jigged.
No doubt Lantra and NPTC web sites will have more info.
I think you can do the courses without the final assessment which is required for professional users, which saves a bit on the overall cost.
Terry

Return to Member issues, skills register and questions