Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hired gun

Anything to do with SWOG Membership, meetings and find people with skills to offer

Postby SteveA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Thought the topic title sounded "dangerous"....

im not actually dangerous at all

Im Steve and am currently located in Dartford and am a keen shooter and am offering a vermin cull/service in essex and kent (free... i know..... not often you see that nowdays!)

i have a .22 pcp air rifel at the legal 12 ft lbs limit and can take a rabbit with a humain shot at up to 50 yards. it is silenced and birds dont even know its been fired till the pellet hits!

rabbits ,corvids (magpies/crows) ,squrils (things that take song bird eggs and chicks and damage trees/plants)

also woodpigeons and collared doves but in woodlands these tend not to be pests!

(Foxes are too large for this gun!)

fields and wooded areas can be worked (not too thicker wood... im not as younge as i used to be)

so if anyone is interested please send me a mesage

Kind regards

Steve

ooh forgot to say (quite important too) i respect life... i dont mame animals and do not take a shot if not 100% sure it will not be humain. i do not damage property and will speak with the land owner about borders/boundrys and what quary they wish me to target.

i aim to leave the land as i find it (it is youre land afterall) and will keep and eye/report and findings after the outingh

SteveA

Postby Hobby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi steve,

I suspect the last thing that the vast majority of members on this site would want is a guy turning up killing the animals living in their woodlands !!.

Then again maybe I'm just a big old softy.

Hobby

Postby Andy M » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Well, it is a choice between nice squirrels or fully grown trees. If the little greys are allowed to eat their fill, then the trees will lose their growing tips and so in future no more good 200 year old specimens.

Andy M

Postby Hobby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:28 pm

I think your find that squirrels are responsible for planting more oak trees than any other animal.

Every action has a consequence my friend, the thought of killing an animal for any other reason than for food just doesn't sit comfortably with me.

If a magpie raids a blue tit nest, it isn't doing it out of spite, its just looking for food to survive.

I may not like it but I still respect the magpie and admire it for what it is....Its not for me to take an animals life just because I don't like what its doing in its day to day life.

If I found you within my woodland blowing every animal away would it be OK if I shot you ?......an animal life or human,its the same to me.

Hobby

Postby RichardKing » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Jays plant more Oaks than grey squirrels.

RichardKing

Postby Hobby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Not if you shoot em they don't !!!

Hobby

Postby SteveA » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 pm

i too think its a shame to shoot something if youre not using all of it... anyway who said i wouldnt eat them?

i had squirrel and chips the other day (much to the discust of my mrs) i skinn and preserve the pelt too!

as for turning up shooting animals.... i dont!

ill pre arrange a date (one off or set dates) im not interested in just going round shooting at whatever moves, i find out what pests youwish to control and it is only those that i stalk! (ie just greys / corvids and that is all ill rase the rifle to)

ill even show you afterwards (picture message or in person if you are about)

it is a privilage to be invited to do this, i do not abuse that fact!

Kind regards

Steven

SteveA

Postby SteveA » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 pm

as for squrils planting oak trees, they tend to Cut the nuts to stop them from germinating

jays (one of the corvid family... not one i actually like shooting) gather nuts but store them without damaging them and are responsible for planting the bulk of them.

SteveA

Postby Hobby » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Whatcha Steve.

You say you don't like shooting Jays.

Could you inform me which members of the Corvid family you do enjoy shooting ?, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook perhaps.

Just wondered why, in your presence, Jays have an exception to receiving a bullet ?

Hobby

Postby SteveA » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:11 pm

I just enjoy shooting

no excemption for Jays, you just tend to see them in more wooded areas and there isnt hawds of themso people tend not to want them culling (seems fair to me)

things like magpie or crow you tend to get in abundance around farmers fields (wood pigeons also come to them on mass) so you tend to get more requests for these breads

please dont brand me as a gun touting loonie (american sterio type)

our country is owned by people and to shoot on their land requires permission. without it, its classed as armed tresspass.... and im not fancying prison!

as i said before, i enjoy shooting. if it was against the law or i had moral problems with shooting animals i would still shoot...... just at targets! but to do this i would still need permission to use someones land as i do not have enough room of my own

SteveA

Next

Return to Member issues, skills register and questions