Small Woodland Owners' Group

Things I learnt....

Events, meetings and courses

Postby tracy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:56 pm

What did you learn today - 19th July? Be great to share for those who weren\'t able to make it.

David talked about Badgers

Nigel about woodland birds

Alan about woodland management, products, contractors, hurdles..... and lots more!

So, come on, what did you find out today?

tracy

Postby greyman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:04 am

Tracy,

Sarah and I would like to thank you for the sterling work you must have put in to setting up and running the session today - Well done that man!!!;~))

I also wanted to give a vote of thanks to the gentleman who worked in the background looking after the victals and setting up the tables etc as well as generally making sure everything was ticking along on the drinks front. If you are able please pass on our gratitude!

Mike mentioned that he would try and send us the information he got from Lycetts on the PL insurance for you and him - I\'m not hastling - just thought I\'d mention it in passing. I should imagine you are both pretty pooped after the long day.

Sean & Sarah

greyman

Postby tracy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:21 am

Thanks guys, I will tell David - he works at Plumpton as a conference organiser and is fab. We made sure we rewarded him well!

I will ask Mike to post answers - (it will be Monday I think) we are off to test ride electric bikes today - we are hoping to find a way to our wood that is low cost and low cost to the environment!

Speak soon

Tracy

tracy

Postby tracy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:17 pm

We learnt so much from Nigel Symes, RSPB woodland Advisor: Here is what he says on one site, where he advertises his fantastic book:

Woodland Management for Birds

To improve management practices, the RSPB and Forestry Commission are today publishing the Woodland Management for Birds guide.

It is aimed at more than 300 woodland managers and advisors throughout England covering 617,000 acres (250,000 hectares) of land - an area almost the size of Derbyshire. It details the habitat requirements of woodland birds most in decline and gives practical advice on how to help them.

This publication is available to order using the contact details below. Woodland Management for Birds is priced at £14.95.

Nigel Symes, Land Management Advisor at the RSPB said: \"We think one of the reasons the birds are suffering is because of the loss of good quality woodland and the waning of traditional woodland skills such as coppicing.

\'Coppicing allows a variety of forest species to thrive and used to be central to many rural economies. Now it is an art practiced only in small pockets to produce a variety of products ranging from garden furniture to horse jumps, and charcoal for BBQs to Morris sticks.

\'Where coppicing has been abandoned, tall, fast-growing trees dominate at the expense of smaller, more varied plantlife. These trees turn open, sunny glades into dark and gloomy thickets, blocking light from smaller plants and leaving the woodland floor too bare for birds and too cold for the insects on which birds feed. In addition, dead wood is often cleared too readily, leaving little cover for insects or holes for birds to nest in.\'

The publication of the guide coincides with the introduction of the Forestry Commission\'s English Woodland Grant Scheme, which supports woodland management where it guarantees public and wildlife benefits.

See more: http://www.battlerspb.org.uk/brspbnewsother.htm

This links really nicely with Alans talk about Woodland management - selling some produce can help to raise funds to continue to coppice the wood for wildlife.

I also love the way Alan uses every part of the tree!

tracy

Return to Forthcoming Events