Small Woodland Owners' Group

Animal control

Events, meetings and courses

Postby tracy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:04 pm

On Sunday 1st February 2009, John Bailey will be leading a morning session for any interested people on the topic of grey squirrel control. He will talk about how to recognise signs of damage, the need for control for conservation and look at some practical solutions.

He will also make time to talk about deer and deer fencing options.

John has trained in countryside management and has a wide ranging knowledge in all things woodland!

This event will be held in a woodland near Northiam - has a kettle, toilet, shelter and paths suitable for all abilities.

The morning will be free of charge, and numbers are limited, so please let me know if you would like to come along

[email protected]

tracy

Postby Colin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:49 pm

So, who got an air rifle for Christmas?

There is little point in killing the wild life in our woods as amenity woodland is generally considered to be too small to provide an income and for most people that is not the reason for buying it.

You are supposed to kill deer, rabbit and squirrel to ensure the maximum return on your timber. In fact amenity woodland is generally enhanced by the presence of wild life and many of us think that it is OK if they nibble the trees.

I have never seen a mature oak destroyed by a squirrel but I have seen many destroyed by small woodland owners.

Colin

Colin

Postby Darren » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Plenty of squirrel damage in our woodland complex. They are also blamed for the decline of birds and red squirrels.

I think we need to look at the bigger picture rather than a small woods. A collective effort should help get rid of them plus the benefit of free meat.

Darren

Postby DaveTaz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:10 am

Well said Darren. Grey squirrels are a pest species on a number of grounds as you mentioned.

The most important aspect of owning or managing a woodland, no matter how big or small, is that we have a responsibility to secure their future.

Nobody can actually say what damage greys will ultimately inflict on the nations woodlands in the future.

However, if they aren't kept under control we will only have ourselves to blame if things go wrong, unless we as owners/managers are prepared to manage this "un-natural" balance!

I think it rather unfortunate that some woodland owners/managers can't think about the future of our woodlands and their potential for generating income at some point in the future through timber sales generated via good management practices.

Nobody who owns or manages an area of woodland should feel bad about pest control

DaveTaz

Postby Colin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Dave, Darren,

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that anyone should feel bad about pest control.

I think that there is a bias within these pages toward commercial management which is very strange. Most small woodland owner's plots are much too small to provide an income. I think Woodlands..co.uk say somewhere on their site that the plots they sell are too small to support you but they need to use bigger letters.

If you bought your eight acres or whatever to become a forester and live off the land then I am sure that you already understand the importance of effective pest control to protect your investment.

If anyone were to stray onto this site who perhaps bought their amenity wood for the purpose of leisure and recreation and might be wondering if they have to kill the animals then please let me reassure you that no you don't, not unless you want to.

Wildlife generally adds pleasure and value to amenity woodland. It is different from a commercial prospect.

You can shoot things if you want to. Surprisingly, it won't do any harm. Squirrels and rabbits live at a density that the woodland will support and if you shoot some you create room for others and the foxes will only eat them otherwise.

This can be counter productive because you will bring new animals in competing for territory and may end up with more than you started with. It is just something you can do if you want to.

If your wood is recreational then you have nothing to fear from the squirrels. Dead wood is actually more valuable in terms of biodiversity than live wood.

If you walk around your wood and look at the damage that has been done then you should realise that what you are looking at is the sum total of all the damage that squirrels have ever done, some of it has been there for years. They never tidy up.

Squirrels have been in the woods for a long time and have integrated themselves into the woodland ecology. They play a part in creating habitat and they play a role in the food chain. They have a valuable role to play in amenity woodland.

Let me give you an example of another pest. In the mid 1950's we introduced myxomatosis to the rabbit population and destroyed 95% of our wild rabbits, Great but no more rabbit pie. We lost huge numbers of buzzards and other predators and also a lot of chalk and downland where the rabbits had been controlling the shrub layer, it became over run. This had a knock on affect with our butterflies who lost important habitat and that of course hit the birds.

Anyway I am not saying don't shoot squirrels.

If you want to know, do I have to? No, it has nothing to do with managing amenity woodland, it is a commercial thing, your recreational woodland will be much richer for the wildlife.

You enjoy your wood.

Colin

Colin

Postby mikepepler » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 pm

Tracy's written up an article on the SWOG front page on the workshop, and I've put an extended version (with action photos from the shotgun) on our blog as well:

http://peplers.blogspot.com/2009/02/grey-squirrel-control-workshop.html

Mike
------------------------------
My blog: http://peplers.blogspot.co.uk/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/mikepepler
mikepepler

Return to Forthcoming Events