Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland Archaeology

Events, meetings and courses

Postby tracy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:58 pm

SEWAF (South East Woodland Archaeology forum) have been asked by the Forestry Commission to do a survey of Battle Great wood, prior to some felling next year. I'm looking for volunteers to help with this before Christmas.

If you would like to be involved and can make it to the Battle area (the wood is south-east of the town) one day, or part of a day between now and Christmas, I'd like to hear from you the dates you can manage.

I won't be setting a single date for everyone to turn up to – I will be there when you can get there, but obviously if more than one person choose a particular day we'll certainly combine forces.

No previous experience is necessary – training can be provided for those who come.

More opportunities will be available after Christmas.

As far as possible we'll communicate by email to keep costs down.

Cheers

David Brown

[email protected]

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 pm

David did a survey of my wood yesterday afternoon. He confirmed a charcoal hearth that I had previously spotted and he found another five, plus a sawpit. What I thought were old ditches turned out to be ancient trackways. The hole that looks like a bomb crater probably is one! Very interesting.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:52 pm

David has some dates for his woodland archaeology walks...

Hi All

Here are the dates for January I've set aside for surveying in Battle Great Wood. If you are able to come for a day, or even part of a day, that would be great. Let me know which date you can manage and I'll send you joining details, etc.

7 Jan Wed

11 Jan Sun

15 Jan Thur

19 Jan Mon

25 Jan Sun

We have to get it finished by the end of February, and I'll send the February dates in a couple of weeks.

Hope you had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cheers

David

tracy

Postby tracy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 pm

There is an interesting guide to woodland archaeology here:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/exploring_your_woodlands_history.pdf/$FILE/exploring_your_woodlands_history.pdf

tracy

Postby tracy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Does anyone know of woodland archaeology 'experts' in other parts of the country?

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:13 pm

John Morris (former SWA chairman) runs courses in the Chilterns.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 am

Please note- Davids email address for the SE woodland archaeology forum has changed.

[email protected]

tracy

Postby tracy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:57 am

If anyone is interested, we are planning a field survey for woodland archaeology on Wednesday 25th April and on May 9th we are digging some test pits in Strawberry Wood, near Benenden to see if we can find more about the trackway structure and find any artefacts that might date it. All comers welcome and further details can be found on our new website, www.khwp.org.uk. These are a bookable events, so please contact me at the details below. Event should run from 10am - 3pm or thereabouts.

Ian Johnstone

[email protected]

Tel: 01580 212972

Mob: 07740 185368

Web: www.khwp.org.uk

tracy

Postby tracy » Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 am

Woodland trust history day

Discover the history of Brede High woods including Romans,

Iron smelters cannon makers and an explosive gunpowder mill.

Games and activities for families in the woods (ie not just a walk) all morning.

Numbers are limited on the walk so to reserve your place please book at

www.naturedetectives.org.uk/familyweek or call 08452 935531 (local rate)

Booking details are on the poster (there’s a website link and telephone number).

a half term free event for

National FamilyWeek

Discover theAmazing History

of Brede HighWoods

May 29th 2009

10am -12.30.Meet at main car park

tracy

Return to Forthcoming Events