Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bentley woodfair

Events, meetings and courses

Postby Hobby » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi All.

Planning on visiting Bentley for the first this weekend with the missus.

Going on past experiences, does anyone have any useful info or must see events while I'm wondering around.

Also, I'm after a good, balanced, Bill-hook, and am hoping to find one at the fair. Any recommendations ?

Hope the sun keeps shining and maybe we will see a few of you there.

Good luck

Hobby

Hobby

Postby RichardKing » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Theres a lot to see, depends what your interests are, I would not bypass any of it.

As for billhooks, there is a multitude of regional types, hundreds of makes & there is always a good selection of used/reconditioned ones at the show.

Comes down to personal taste, it must feel right in your hand, the right weight, not too thick metal, a keen edge.

All the tool vendors know the going price of various billhooks, particularly the most sought after, most prices seem reasonable, so you will probably get what you pay for, but you can always haggle.

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Ian Swaine is a good man and refurbishes old Billhooks. He has black curly hair. Stop by the swog tent and we can help you find him!

Its is brilliant fair, and don't make the mistake of thinking the first field is all there is ;-) There is a corridor, another field and a woodland!

tracy

Return to Forthcoming Events