Small Woodland Owners' Group

Deer Management Service

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Deer Management Service

Postby Daniel » Thu May 26, 2016 6:09 pm

It's all about scale. If a person has two acres of ground and it has mature trees on it, controlling or managing deer will be a very low proirity.

If a forest manager has man ha's of newly planted trees, they will be much more interested in the timber crop at the end, and will insist on a heavily weighted cull plan.
Daniel

Postby sam355 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:54 am

Wendelspanswick wrote:I had an offer by a chap to manage the deer in my woodland, I asked him what he charged and he said it was a service he would provide for free and if needed he would dispose of the carcasses. So in reality he was not offering a deer management service but just wanted to sate his lust for killing things by hunting in my wood!
If you want to kill things then say so but don't dress it up as a 'deer management' service.
I guess saying "I like killing things and want to use your property to do it" hasn't got quite the same ring as a "Deer Management Service".
Just to add I had no intention of taking up his offer!

Wendelspanswick,
If by disposing the carcass he meant burying it or any other way rather than prepping for human consumption (providing the "trained" hunter was satisfied with the condition of the shot animal), you are correct the person is only interested in killing things with no respect.

Would like to point out on my original post I mentioned: " I will provide a share of the venison on your land if you like" and on my other replies that in my house hold we only consume venison as red meat and do not purchase from other suppliers/super markets... So please keep in mind that there are hunters out there who are very interested in the health, sustainability, quality and the actual venison shot rather than people who (I don`t even call them hunters) just like to kill things.

The woodland I`m purchasing is about 10 acres and its surrounded by other woodlands, I`m not just going to go there an kill every single deer I see. As you mentioned, I will first survey to get an understanding of the deer population (by many means such as talking to other land owners, trail cams, night vision cameras...) then seek advice/decide in how many to be shot per year to keep a healthy population with every bit of the venison shot consumed. I call this "Deer Management".
sam355

Postby Terry » Tue May 31, 2016 5:30 am

sam355 wrote:
Wendelspanswick wrote:I had an offer by a chap to manage the deer in my woodland, I asked him what he charged and he said it was a service he would provide for free and if needed he would dispose of the carcasses. So in reality he was not offering a deer management service but just wanted to sate his lust for killing things by hunting in my wood!
If you want to kill things then say so but don't dress it up as a 'deer management' service.
I guess saying "I like killing things and want to use your property to do it" hasn't got quite the same ring as a "Deer Management Service".
Just to add I had no intention of taking up his offer!

Wendelspanswick,
If by disposing the carcass he meant burying it or any other way rather than prepping for human consumption (providing the "trained" hunter was satisfied with the condition of the shot animal), you are correct the person is only interested in killing things with no respect.

Would like to point out on my original post I mentioned: " I will provide a share of the venison on your land if you like" and on my other replies that in my house hold we only consume venison as red meat and do not purchase from other suppliers/super markets... So please keep in mind that there are hunters out there who are very interested in the health, sustainability, quality and the actual venison shot rather than people who (I don`t even call them hunters) just like to kill things.

The woodland I`m purchasing is about 10 acres and its surrounded by other woodlands, I`m not just going to go there an kill every single deer I see. As you mentioned, I will first survey to get an understanding of the deer population (by many means such as talking to other land owners, trail cams, night vision cameras...) then seek advice/decide in how many to be shot per year to keep a healthy population with every bit of the venison shot consumed. I call this "Deer Management".

I have no doubt that the sort of person Wendelspanswick describes exists, but those like Sam 355 do also so probably best not to make such general statements.
With regard to the 'disposal' of carcasses I doubt very much that the meat goes to waste because even the most selfish 'hunter' realises there is monetary value in the meat.
The reason he would not charge is because this sort of thing is generally done for the meat rather than as an outright service and many would have suggested you were ripped off if you had paid for it.

For the record I dont hunt or shoot anything and don't own any firearms. I am a meat eater and would generally agree with what Sam355 & Rich are saying above.
Terry

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue May 31, 2016 8:08 am

The point I was trying to make was if you are going to advertise your services as 'Deer Management' then surely there has to be more to that then just offering to shoot deer on your property. If your just going to come along and shoot them a more truthful request would be 'Land required To Hunt Deer'?
Wendelspanswick

Postby sam355 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 am

Wendelspanswick wrote:The point I was trying to make was if you are going to advertise your services as 'Deer Management' then surely there has to be more to that then just offering to shoot deer on your property. If your just going to come along and shoot them a more truthful request would be 'Land required To Hunt Deer'?

Wendelspanswick,
Agree if that`s the intention.

Hope you can see that is not my intention and am putting every effort in to "Deer management" rather than killing.

sam355 wrote: I`m not just going to go there an kill every single deer I see. As you mentioned, I will first survey to get an understanding of the deer population (by many means such as talking to other land owners, trail cams, night vision cameras...) then seek advice/decide in how many to be shot per year to keep a healthy population with every bit of the venison shot consumed. I call this "Deer Management".

and other comments I made on this post.
sam355

Previous

Return to General