Small Woodland Owners' Group

Squirrels and other problems!!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Squirrels and other problems!!

Postby Rup65 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 am

Hello... I am new to the forum so excuse any mistakes! I am a great lover of the woods and a firm conservationist...I love the countryside and in that pursute I have noticed the huge extent of the damage to lovely woodland done by the Grey Squirrel. They ruin trees and in so doing make the habitat for songbirds that less attractive...they destroy their nests and the eggs within...I currently help manage the numbers of squirrels in woods in Oxfordshire.. if any of you woodland owners would like me to help you control their numbers in your woods, free of charge of course I would welcome the opportunity. I am a member of the BASC,CPSA and am fully insured. My services are discreet and above all quiet!! If you would like any help please just let me know..i'd be happy to chat.. many thanks :D
Rup65

Re: Squirrels and other problems!!

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:18 am

Rup65 wrote:Hello... I am new to the forum so excuse any mistakes! I am a great lover of the woods and a firm conservationist...I love the countryside and in that pursute I have noticed the huge extent of the damage to lovely woodland done by the Grey Squirrel. They ruin trees and in so doing make the habitat for songbirds that less attractive...they destroy their nests and the eggs within...I currently help manage the numbers of squirrels in woods in Oxfordshire.. if any of you woodland owners would like me to help you control their numbers in your woods, free of charge of course I would welcome the opportunity. I am a member of the BASC,CPSA and am fully insured. My services are discreet and above all quiet!! If you would like any help please just let me know..i'd be happy to chat.. many thanks :D

Hi rup65, so In other words your a shooter looking for another permission am I correct ? or are you one of these

Conservationist may refer to the following:

A member of the conservation movement
A scientist who works in the field of conservation biology
A practitioner of Conservation-restoration
The Conservationist, a 1974 novel by Nadine Gordimer

don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against shooters, I'm one myself, but being a woodland owner myself, your quote;

They ruin trees and in so doing make the habitat for songbirds that less attractive

makes me wonder if you can back this up with facts, as I can't see anything in my woods rather than a few chewed trees, but it certainly does not make it less attractive, so

if your a shooter looking for new permissions, please just ask, rather than trying to make us think your something your not
Dexter's Shed

Postby Rup65 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:05 pm

I didn't join this blog to debate with anyone. You are free to ignore my post or not. Squirrels are a pest in this country and I have been controlling their numbers for some time. They damage trees and are well known for doing so and being a problem. i do not need advice from you about how to obtain permission or otherwise. Please kindly refrain from replying to any of my posts again.
From the Forestry Commission if it is facts you are after:
[b]Since their introduction into Britain in various locations
between 1876 and the 1920s, grey squirrels have spread
rapidly. They have displaced the red squirrel throughout
most of England and Wales and in central and southeast
Scotland
In addition to displacing this native species they
frequently cause damage to woodlands by stripping bark
from the main stem and branches of trees.
Such damage acts as a major disincentive to the planting of
broadleaved and coniferous trees for timber as it reduces
the value of the final crop. Increasingly wider impacts are
being recognised as potentially of major significance to
woodland conservation.
Rup65

Postby Andy M » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 pm

Dexter, I don't think you need to be quite so aggressive in your reply, we don't want to discourage people. We are all adults, won't be blind to the possibilities you raise and can ask these questions for ourselves if appropriate.

I don't think there is any doubt that grey squirrels cause problems, not the least being damage to future high woodlands. See http://www.europeansquirrelinitiative.org/
Andy M

Postby Rich » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Andy M wrote:Dexter, I don't think you need to be quite so aggressive in your reply, we don't want to discourage people.

Agreed!
Making new members feel welcome is not part of the T's and C's of the forum, it would seem to me a bit too much like stating the obvious and what most people would want to do anyway.

So if it's not too late.... Welcome to the forum Rup65

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:16 pm

Rup65 wrote: I have noticed the huge extent of the damage to lovely woodland done by the Grey Squirrel. They ruin trees and in so doing make the habitat for songbirds that less attractive...

I asked an easy enough question, yet rather a direct answer you see it fit to quote something from the forestry commission :(

Rup65 wrote: You are free to ignore my post or not. Please kindly refrain from replying to any of my posts again.

surely, the whole point of a forum, and this one is no different, is you get for and against arguments, it's how people learn, my question was a simple one, are you a woodland owner wanting to help others, or are you a hunter/shooter seeking permission,

I posted some years ago about chainsaws, and it became a very heated discussion but it proved informative as well, I had many more against me than for me, but I never once asked members not to respond to my post :(

Andy M wrote: We are all adults, won't be blind to the possibilities you raise and can ask these questions for ourselves if appropriate.

sorry Andy, but why is it ok for any other members to ask if they wish, but not me?????
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:I asked an easy enough question, yet rather a direct answer you see it fit to quote something from the forestry commission :(

Probably a lot more useful than your quote earlier from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservationist) though: -

Dexter's Shed wrote:Conservationist may refer to the following: ...

What value did that add?
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:01 pm

SimonFisher wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote:I asked an easy enough question, yet rather a direct answer you see it fit to quote something from the forestry commission :(

Probably a lot more useful than your quote earlier from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservationist) though: -

What value did that add?

none what so ever simon, but then it was me asking a question, not answering one

I can see that me asking a few simple questions has got "those who be" riled up yet again, if that's the case then fine, ban me (again) or in fact, wipe my name from the forum never to be spoken again, it's crazy that those of us that post the most, seem to get moaned at the most too, when in fact, we are what keep this forum alive and busy,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Andy M » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm

SimonFisher wrote:

What value did that add?

It shows the valuable skill to Google a word and follow a link to Wikipedia.
Andy M

Postby boxerman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:10 pm

Come on, kids, holster those egos.. :D

We all must know by now that Dexter tends to say what he thinks. Yes, there are perhaps times when he could use a little more tact but I see little wrong with his post tho it could have been a little less blunt. Dexter is simply asking the question that first popped into my own mind when I read the first post and it's a valid question that anyone considering letting him do what he asks in their wood would be asking.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Next

Return to General