Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chesney's stoves

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Chesney's stoves

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:24 am

My sister's considering having a Chesney's stove installed - a Belgravia or a Beaumont.

Anyone got of one of these? Anyone looked at them but decided against?

She initially thought she'd get a wood burning stove but I've suggested she at least think whether they might benefit from a multi-fuel version instead. It's an addition to a house that's got gas central heating so probably not something they'll use daily. They don't own woodland and live far enough away from me that I'll not be supplying them :-)
SimonFisher

Re: Chesney's stoves

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:47 am

I have a Stovax cassette fire that I am happy with
Wish I had knocked the chimney breast about a bit and got a larger stove so it stayed in all night and we could have it on tick over rather than on full belt all evening to heat the bottom floor of the house
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:11 am

What's a cassette fire?

We have a Stovax Stockton 4 (multi-fuel) version. It was fitted by the previous occupants of the house and we've no real reason to change it, but I do find the air-controls a bit crude. Certainly compared to a Clearview we used in a holiday cottage a few years ago. It had a spin wheel at the front which when almost closed would easily keep the fire just ticking over through the night. Our Stovax can manage about three hours at most.
SimonFisher

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:40 am

In our old cottage we had a Parker Multifuel inset stove with back boiler and the control you had over it was superb, the air control was thermostatically controlled so getting an overnight burn was easy.
Our new house had a Franco Belge Limousin already installed:
It looks the business but its not a patch on our old stove with really basic air controls that, even when shut completely down, allow the fire to burn quite fiercely.
I have tried to improve the air controls which has made things better but its still not brilliant.
Thankfully its only our secondary source of heat as we have a Stanley wood fired range that provides CH and HW which is really good at its job. Plus our house is only 20 years old and we built it to a really high standard of insulation so it doesn't take a lot of heating but if we had to rely on the Franco Belge as our main heat source I would change it out.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Lunar Wood » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:13 am

Hi
I live just around the corner from Chesney's Archway shop and psent quite a bit of time there examining their range of stoves before deciding what to install in our sitting room.
The Chesney Beaumont and Belgravia were very high on our list of choices: A nice modern look with a good crisp build quality... Very tempted.
However like a lot of modern stoves they have those vermiculite fire bricks that you can dig holes in just using your fingernails! I didn't think that these would last very long with the way I chuck wood into a stove, andthey're relatively expensive to replace. You also lose 5-6cm in each direction from the firebox to accommodate the bricks.
After much research we went for the AGA Ludlow [SE model because we are in a smokeless zone].
Similar look to the Beaumont, in terms of simple unadorned lines. Cast Iron rather than welded steel. The firebox is very large for the size of the stove as it uses steel plates rather than vermiculite bricks. These are very tough and should last for years even with 'robust usage' and you don't loose anything like as much space in the firebox. You can easily get a few 14" logs in or a couple of hefty 12" x 6" x 6" logs, to keep it in. Simple to control and operate and less than half the price of a Beaumont of similar kWs.
Although the Beaumont is very beautiful to look at I'm very happy with our choice and glad that I didn't spend the extra £7-800 just on the looks... The AGA is very 'old school' and has quite an appeal of it's own... Take a look at one... I don't think you'll regret it
R
Lunar Wood

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello A Cassette fits in the traditional fire place and does not sit out in the room Have a look at the stovax web site BB
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to General