Small Woodland Owners' Group

Electric clay throwing trap

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Electric clay throwing trap

Postby Dave and Verity » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:42 pm

At the end of the day shooting manages to summon some very strong emotions, people are either for or against, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I was bought up with it and personally would love to shoot anything I can for the experience, by that I mean any type of firearm, not species. I am wholly opposed to hunting any endangered game species.

Terms like Hooray Henry and landowners, keeps getting thrown about. This really isn't justified, there is an element out there who are very privelaged, but I know many, many shooters who are very ordinary working people. I would say these are by far the majority. Very few are landowners, and they shoot at clubs, as syndicates or work extremely hard to secure permissions on other peoples land. They also contribute an awful amount to the conservation of wildlife in this country. Unfortunately without the countryside activities, most of the countryside would be gone. There simply aren't enough altruistic landowners around to finance its upkeep without generating income.

The conclusion that the dog in question may have witnessed another dog being put down by it's owner is very specific, my last dog (Chester) was an eleven month old rescue and was very nervous of diesel vans, what did I conclude from that? It had previosuly had a bad experience with a diesel van?, maybe, did it's previous owner drive one and do cruel things while it was in it?, maybe, or did it just not like that particular frequency of noise?, maybe The truth is, who knows, only it's previous owner may have a clue. My current Dog visited a shooting club at eight weeks, no, it did not leave the crate in the car, due to it being incompletely vaccinated. The boot was left open, no fuss was made and he is now at 9 months fully happy around guns. In fact if he observes a rifle coming out, he wants to come with us. He is absolutely petrified of sugar beet lorries, now, I reckon I would be as well. They weigh about 40 tonnes and make a helluva racket, given the power of a dogs hearing compared to ours, for a young dog this is perfectly normal. We don't react when he demonstrates his dislike and eventually he will lose this fear as he learns that there is nothing to be concerned about. Chester lost his fear of diesel vans within a couple of years. George is a wolfhound lurcher by the way, a more gregarious dog does not exist.

I think the original poster was originally reviewing a product.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Dave and Verity wrote:
I think the original poster was originally reviewing a product.

Dave

thank you dave, I was thinking that myself, but who am I to say what people can or cant post :D
you make some good sound educated points in your post
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:18 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Greyhounds are intelligent and sensitive and usually not aggressive to humans.

If your solution to a greyhound nervous of guns is to shoot it, it says the dog is more perceptive and accurate in its evaluation of you, than you are of it.

Logical conclusion; man has gun but dog has higher IQ.

I'm afraid that's my outlook on everything paws, if something is not right, it's of no use to us, as the good book say's, let him without sin, cast the first stone
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has looked at some youths of today and thought, what help or use are they to our society
Dexter's Shed

Postby Mod 2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:56 pm

**** MODERATOR COMMENT ****

All further posts, please keep to the original poster's topic.

If you wish to discuss any of the other points raised, start a new topic.
Mod 2

Postby smojo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Sorry for this extra post off topic but just want to set my views straight. I was going to talk a little more about why some people choose rescue dogs as opposed to buying puppies and training them to be perfect specimens but that's another subject that could be emotive.

Dexter and others, I'm not condemning or judging anyone for wanting to shoot. My apologies if it sounded that way. I was merely adding to what Paws said about the impact of the noise on others - human and animal and how it can affect things in a way that those creating it, have no idea they are causing. We all have different perspectives on life and that's healthy.
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:13 pm

It would be ungrateful of me to not say I hadn't benefited by degrees from a particular clay shoot. Next to my pottery one of the larger cottages in the tiny isolated rural thatched hamlet of 273 folks that I worked in (as a 'Townie'?) belonged to one Philip Cook, a leading light of the organic milk movement and pal of Prince Charles. When he died very suddenly an annual memorial day was launched with a sporting theme, and the first was a Clay Shoot.

They asked me as one of his neighbours to make a fitting trophy, so I did a rather fetching £700 job decorated with platinum, and solid silver nameplates on the bottom for the winners names on a turned oak stand.

It all turned out rather well, Waitrose sponsored the trophy, some 300 people attended a swanky champagne marquee do and had a great time while making quite a racket with their 12 bores. It was attended by lots of ordinary working class shooting folk in their Range Rover Vogues and Bentleys, who could only chip in a meagre £23,000 when they had a whip round for charity. As a scruffy peasant artisan who merely made the centrepiece of the day, I naturally didn't get an invite, I didnt own the necessary moleskin trousers, deer stalker and green wellies.

http://www.coombefarm.com/story/2013/12/09/philip-cook-memorial-clay-shoot-2013/14/

Ref  0371.jpg

Philip Cook Trophy.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:19 pm

even though it seems of no interest to anyone here, as promised my first review after unpacking and fixing together

http://youtu.be/4CTM0J9eOJI
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dave and Verity » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:27 pm

A lot of bang for your buck as they say.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby boxerman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Never realised they were so complicated - looks a lot of technology for the money.

Love the trophy, Paws - looks a real work of art and something that anyone would be proud to have sitting on the shelf.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:50 pm

boxerman wrote:Never realised they were so complicated - looks a lot of technology for the money.

there are simpler ones, hand loaded and a big spring, but they give us old one's (me) an achy back,
Dexter's Shed

PreviousNext

Return to General