Small Woodland Owners' Group

Essex tree surgeon in court after chainsaw fall onto worker

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Essex tree surgeon in court after chainsaw fall onto wor

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:35 pm

Landpikey wrote:I agree with your comments.

Can't wait for the Shed of Dexter to comment on this - he has a more casual approach to safety at times. ;) so somehow it won't be the guys fault. (wonder if it was a chinese ladder....???)

I've been waiting patiently to reply to this one, just because I use imported saw's and will not waste money on the certification does not make me any different to everyone else when it comes to H&S, why on earth should I think it wasn't the guy's fault, we are all accountable for our actions
I'm sure I've said it before, but I will again, my daily night work for the underground see's me following and carrying out H&S till I'm blue in the face, we have to jump through hoops for something as simple as removing a trapped pigeon, now I have got certification coming out of my ear holes concerning working on a live track that could frazzle me in a second, does it guarantee that I wont get killed or maimed ?? NO, it's purely to cover peoples back's should the proverbial hit the fan,

now let's move onto new woodland owners, there are many types of people that own woods, from all walks of life, I've met people in my time that didn't know how to use a drill, they would pay others to do it for them, so they buy a plot and the first thing they do is book a chainsaw course, it's basic and does not show you the type of stuff needed in woods, so you end up paying out to do two or three until your confident on chopping down trees etc, can anyone prove they are safer or less likely to have an accident than me ????

if anything, I would still say I'm safer, I've worked in the construction industry all my life, I've seen many silly things and quite a few chopped off fingers,hands and limbs, so I would say my life experiences make me safer that someone who has just attended a chainsaw course, remember cert's are only really needed for using that saw on someone else's property, there is no law to say you need it on your own land, having that certification does not stop an accident happening, that's why its called an accident, I have more faith in my common sense and life skills, than I do on the saw ticket, so I choose not to, as I see it, waste hundreds on a ticket that cannot give me any more common than I already have

so YES, that guy is guilty as sin and deserves everything he get's thrown at him, I mean, who places a ladder on a pick up :o :o

Whatisheatnow wrote:But it's mostly for Dexter's freethinking uninhibited style I log on to this forum.

thank you very much for that comment, it's what made me deciede to stay, although I post on the SWOG and little land owners group page on facebook, forum's are so much better, nice to know someone like's me :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby boxerman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Good to see you back, Dexter - it's not been the same.. ;)
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:20 pm

boxerman wrote:Good to see you back, Dexter - it's not been the same.. ;)

thank you kind Sir :)
Dexter's Shed

Previous

Return to General