Small Woodland Owners' Group

Essex tree surgeon in court after chainsaw fall onto worker

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Essex tree surgeon in court after chainsaw fall onto wor

Postby Landpikey » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:42 am

I agree with your comments.

What's the betting he's got no insurance so his "mate" is screwed.

Can't wait for the Shed of Dexter to comment on this - he has a more casual approach to safety at times. ;) so somehow it won't be the guys fault. (wonder if it was a chinese ladder....???)

To dislocate both shoulders after being discharged is some going though.
Landpikey

Postby Treeation » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:11 pm

This is shocking.

Not a nice thing for anyone to get injured but come-on anyone with the slightest shred of common sense would tell that this was a very unsafe way to approach this job. After 30 years experience this is the best way you deal with a tree!!Gives tree surgeons a bad name. What a cowboy! There are no short cuts in tree surgery just ways to cut your life short.

Hope he gets better soon
Treeation

Postby Binz » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:18 am

length of time doing a job can actually make people more likely to do unsafe acts as they have become complacent ("well, i've always done it that way and nothing ever happened to me") and because they learnt on the job before HSE had as strong a focus as it does now. There are many out there who after following unsafe practices for 30 years would come out with the phrase 'HSE gone mad' if you asked them to change their ways.
Binz

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Its frightening how inept and unqualified some people are with a very cavalier attitude. I was just browsing through some Stihl tools and came across their battery chainsaw, which looks a good bit of kit. Then I came across a video of it in action, being wielded by two suicidal comedians. OK, it might be a battery saw, but it could easily cause major damage. This video is horrendous, count the number of times they come close to injury. The 'user' and helper have no PPE, brandish it around like a flyswatter, and come very close to contacting human limbs several times. Everything about this is so wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOTqZ7nf2g
oldclaypaws

Postby Mod 2 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Landpikey wrote:Can't wait for the Shed of Dexter to comment on this - he has a more casual approach to safety at times. ;)

Don't hold your breath waiting. Dexter's Shed is currently having a bit of enforced time away from the forum. His casual approach to comments to others went a bit too far...
Mod 2

Postby boxerman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Oh dear...... hope it's not for too long 'cos I enjoy his banter...
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby Whatisheatnow » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:45 pm

But it's mostly for Dexter's freethinking uninhibited style I log on to this forum.
Whatisheatnow

Postby Patandsam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Dexter made some remarks on our stuck chainsaw thread which were quite funny and which we were not offended by, although someone deleted them. We hope he isnt banned because of what seems a bit of light banter, we didnt complain and would ask he is let back on, we were the subject of his comments but it was clearly humour not malice.
Patandsam

Postby boxerman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:38 pm

I'm sure he'll be back in due course, suitably chastised for whatever he did...... :mrgreen: I've never considered this place as over policed so he probably deserved a rollocking but this place wouldn't feel right without the constant insults between him and Paws.....

Now we could all take advantage and take the pee while he's not able to defend himself...... :D
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Next

Return to General