Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hydraulic log splitter

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Hydraulic log splitter

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Andy M wrote:The most tiring bit is pressing on the hydraulic motor button for several hours - makes my thumb/finger sore!

Yes, I used to get that too until I made my modification to lock the power button down and instead control the power using a foot pedal switch.
SimonFisher

Postby Terry » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 am

as you suspected, the two handed operation is for safety reasons and is probably a requirement for the machine to get its CE rating which it will require to be able to be sold in Europe.
Terry

Postby Dave and Verity » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Haven't got any video up yet, been a tad busy lately. Anyway was talking to a neighbour about using the splitter, he relayed to me about a chap in the village who had to have the air ambulance out after getting his foot crushed by one. Apparently he was using his booted foot to free a stuck log.

Another safety concern we have come across is when splitting circular disc shape logs with the grain. We had one get to about the mid point of the disc and then "shot" both halves out of the machine when it completely gave way. If anybody had been in front of the machine at the time, it could have been very unpleasant.

We purchased the handy bench saw, and now I have stripped it and re assembled, I would be less than enthusiastic about recommending it. The standard of manufacture is quite clearly done to a price point, if buying again, I would spend a bit more and go for something a bit more engineered. I had to strip it, I bought an ex display model which had only been put together finger tight in places (including the blade retainer), not knowing this I started it up where it proceded to rattle itself to bits before I could pull the plug out. I dare not go anywhere near the thing to switch it off using the emergency stop. Another of lifes lessons learnt.

It works fine and I can get through about a cubic metre of logs in an hour. Just not sure how long it will last.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Dave and Verity wrote:Another safety concern we have come across is when splitting circular disc shape logs with the grain. We had one get to about the mid point of the disc and then "shot" both halves out of the machine when it completely gave way. If anybody had been in front of the machine at the time, it could have been very unpleasant.

That's perhaps another reason why the control levers on my horizontal splitter are at the opposite end of the machine to the splitting wedge, away from the direction of travel of the hydraulic ram, and as built need both hands on the controls. Mine's modified to allow one hand (and one foot on a power pedal operation). I've been splitting some oak and beech of late and there are some pieces I just know when I pick them up will go as you describe - an explosive split which sees both halves shoot off the end of the machine with some force. Don't let anyone stand there!
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:27 pm

here's my hydraulic splitter, the hydraulics being my leg muscle, aldis special at around £20 and I'm amazed that it splits large logs with ease, a couple of steps on the end and it splits

Dexter's Shed

Postby Dave and Verity » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:43 pm

I've got one of those spare now, if anybody wants to pick it up for a tenner, let me know.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Previous

Return to General