Small Woodland Owners' Group

autumn colour

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

autumn colour

Postby smudge » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Is this the best year ever for autumn colour 30 years ago at work they planted 2 rows of trees (mostly beech) to hide the quarry now they look stunning wish I had colour like it at my woods (mostly ash) will look for some saplings soon im in westcountry is it as nice upt north,
smudge

Re: autumn colour

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Today I drove across the Blackdown Hills into Devon to buy some wild service trees from Perrie Hale Nurseries at Honiton. This morning I was struck by the rich lemon tones on the hazel in the wood, and going into Devon the beech trees were a stunning range of orange, rust red and golden. It has been a good Autumn for colour, helped by the mild weather and lack of frost. I was tempted to put in a couple of Norway Maples for autumn colour, but decided as it can impact negatively on sensitive native ground flora to give them a miss. Looking forward to seeing the Service trees grow, they are a bit of a special addition to our wood. Also putting in a couple a cherries (wild/bird) and small lime. Should help the wildlife.
oldclaypaws

Re: autumn colour

Postby SitkaSpruce » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 pm

The beech trees have been particularly good this year I think, have hung onto good coloured leaves, cherries still have good colour too and field maples still have leaves here.I'm definitely "upt north" It's noticeable that the leaves have stayed on more in the city. In the countryside and at higher elevations the trees have lost their leaves. At my wood which is at 150m all the birch/ cherries have lost their leaves but in the city at perhaps 30m there are still some leaves hanging on. Most of my wood is larch so lovely while it lasts.
SitkaSpruce

Return to General