Small Woodland Owners' Group

Quad bikes

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Quad bikes

Postby Stevieb0y » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:53 pm

I've come to the conclusion that a quad bike and trailer would be a big asset to my woods. I don't need one for road use and as the woods are attached to my home I can store it there. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for these?
This week I've had the woods fenced off (to stop people wandering into them) and the guy I used bought in a tree surgeon to cut down a large leaning silver birch in my neighbours woods. The tree surgeon was so knowledgeable (with many years experience under his belt) and I've asked him to come back so he can help me form a plan on how to manage the woods after years of neglect. Holly seems to be taking over so this will be my first task in removing them,
This year has been spent restoring our run down cottage so I haven't been able to spend nearly as much time in the woods as I'd like but this should all change now as the restoration is nearly finished.
Luckily we didn't have any losses with last nights winds here in Cheshire. Hopefully all your woods have survived in tact.
Any advice on Quads will be most welcome.
Stevieb0y

Re: Quad bikes

Postby woodlander » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:11 pm

I have tried a quad with trailer but had difficulty in pulling the trailer with a moderate load unless it was very dry ,although my wood is fairly steep ,my nieghbour has a small utility vehicle a john deere gator he got seconhand with a tipping deck on the back he says its safer and handier for carrying tools and such ,as he uses it on the land only uses red diesel which is a saving ,hes also got some plastic doors and roof over the cab ,keeps the seat dry! your lucky to have your wood so near your house .
woodlander

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:48 pm

garden mowers are much cheaper, and pull a full trailer easy

http://youtu.be/91YdbZyLZZ8
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I looked at quads before deciding that it wasn't really what I needed, we demo'ed a couple with a 500KG trailer, but I did learn that for trailer pulling you need at least 350cc and if your ground is hilly or boggy you need 4wd. Farm auctions are good places to buy quads cheap, avoid eBay if you can as they all seem overpriced there.
Quads to go for are:
Yamaha Grizzly
Kawasaki Kodiak
Honda Foreman
Avoid quads without V5's unless you can verify that its not stolen and make sure you secure it well as they are a favourite for thieves.
Have you thought about a dumper? Cheap to buy, not easy to steal and go on for years. They run on diesel with a hand crank start so no battery to worry about and the tipping skip is a boon. All the weight is on the driven wheels so the more you load them the better they grip. For a bit more money you can get 4wd dumpers with articulated steering, they really do go any where!
Last edited by Wendelspanswick on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:garden mowers are much cheaper, and pull a full trailer easy

Try pulling a full trailer uphill on wet grass!
Wendelspanswick

Postby Stevieb0y » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks. I thought about the mower option and compact tractor but I'm not sure the terrain my woods are on would be suitable, too hilly the main issue and 4wd essential.
I was going to go for a 4wd and figured 350cc would be the minimum I'd go for. I shall look out for some farm auctions as I am wary that these are popular for theft.
Security of it was my main concern but I can store it next to my house so shouldn't be too much of a problem. Especially with our dogs around being a great deterrent.
I liked the look of the John Deere utility vehicles but they always looked pricey. Polaris also do some interesting utility vehicles.
Stevieb0y

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 am

Wendelspanswick wrote:
Dexter's Shed wrote:garden mowers are much cheaper, and pull a full trailer easy

Try pulling a full trailer uphill on wet grass!
thank god our wood is 99% flat then :lol:
Dexter's Shed

Postby Binz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 am

"I've asked him to come back so he can help me form a plan " Also contact the forestry commission; we asked and they sent a guy out to review our plan and give us more advice (free of charge)
Last edited by Binz on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binz

Postby Stevieb0y » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks Binz, I was hoping to catch someone from the National Trust as my woods adjoin some of their land too to get some advice.
Happy to ask and learn from anyone. For me the learning part about the woodland is as much fun as the working in them.

I'm not sure if anyone else here watches Mountain Men on the History Channel. One of the guys converted his pick up truck to run off wood chippings recently.
Stevieb0y

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:10 am

Hello

Have been using a Suzuki King Quad for a few years with a trailer Good/Excellant Has fat tyres, 450 CC, Automatic ( I don't think I could be bothered with Gears) Good on petrol use Does it for us But as stated security would be an issue but it is close to your house, still anchor to a block in the ground as they are very nickable
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Next

Return to General