Small Woodland Owners' Group

squirrel control

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: squirrel control

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Judging by the size, feathers and leg colour almost certainly Quail. They are described as 'challenging and exciting' to shoot as they are small and nibble.

Most are farmed. Wild ones are migratory and the RSPB has them on their amber warning list.

There were 540 breeding males recorded in the UK, that might now be 539. Kinda sums up many of my attitudes to 'the sport' of shooting. There's about as much meat in a chicken nugget, which when I last checked isn't on the endangered list, but is not as much 'fun' to shoot.

i19865_tcm9-17645.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Dave and Verity » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:00 am

Interesting article on squirrel control in feb 11ths. edition of the countrymans weekly.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:05 pm

Interesting article here on how the readers of countryman's weekly and their recreational shooting ilk have left behind a global legacy of long term lead pollution. ;)

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1007757607468
oldclaypaws

Postby greyman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:46 pm

For every action there is an equal and opposite action - Newtons 3rd law. And before anyone jumps on me - I know it is a law on motion..
greyman

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Slightly going off thread but hope I'll be allowed to indulge.

If interested in Newtons Laws and their effects on squirrels, lead shot, and heavenly bodies, Greyman, I'd recommend the 18th Century Classic, "Astronomy Explained Upon Sir Isaac Newton's Principles, and Made Easy to Those Who Have Not Studied Mathematics", by James Ferguson, 1710-1776.

A very interesting chap, he started off as a Scottish shepherd boy and ended up as a Fellow of the Royal Society and the Kings Natural Philosopher.

He's my Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfather.

http://www.rothi.co.uk/people.html
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:18 am

you may have seen it or not, but jamie & jimmy at southend pier did a topic on squirrels in this weeks episode, you should be able to find it on catch up or on demand, some interesting recipes were shown,
a few I'll definitely be trying out in the next few months, I'm just waiting on some new trap tunnels that are being for me by my local carpenter before I start hitting them again

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jami ... ight-feast
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:03 am

greyman wrote:For every action there is an equal and opposite action - Newtons 3rd law. And before anyone jumps on me - I know it is a law on motion..

Also the law of Karma ;) or "what goes around comes around". If you go around hunting squirrels now, be prepared in your next life to be one, or to inhabit a planet where the dominant species are giant gun-toting squirrels with an appetite for human flesh. :lol:
smojo

Postby Andy M » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:21 am

smojo wrote:
Also the law of Karma ;) or "what goes around comes around". If you go around hunting squirrels now, be prepared in your next life to be one, or to inhabit a planet where the dominant species are giant gun-toting squirrels with an appetite for human flesh. :lol:

So how does my body killing a cold virus fit in with that?
Andy M

Postby Dave and Verity » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:09 am

Or alternatively you come back as a male red squirrel. All the local lady reds realise that the twinkle in your eye is as a result of helping to conserve their species in a former life and make it their utmost priority to keep you snuggly and warm over winter.

Karma is what you make it, and that's the version I'm going with.

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby smojo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Andy M wrote:
smojo wrote:

So how does my body killing a cold virus fit in with that?

Well your body kills the virus and then another one comes back to try to kill you. If you were good to your last cold and passed it onto someone else before killing it, it will have mercy on you and just fill you with snot and a sore throat. :?
smojo

PreviousNext

Return to General