Small Woodland Owners' Group


Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!


Postby Richard » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:43 am

Hi I've had a letter from a neighbouring farm asking to run a underground water main from the road through my piece of woodland. They will use existing tracks, can anyone see any future issues this may cause.

Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Access

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 am

It is quite normal to request a fee for this, has he offered you any recompense?
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 am
Location: Somerset

Re: Access

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 am

lucky so and so, I'd ask for a tap as payment, even if it meant offering a yearly payment towards the water bill, just think, no more dragging fresh water onto your woods :D
Dexter's Shed
Posts: 748
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: essex and kent

Re: Access

Postby smojo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:51 pm

I guess you will have to agree wayleave rights for any future maintenance issues but as Dexter says - make sure you get a tap as part of the deal. I can't see you needing to use lots of water so rather than agree a yearly payment for use of it (and remember you are doing them the favour), maybe offer to pay a nominal amount for the expense of the tap and fittings but make sure instead of them paying you a fee, you get free water.
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Access

Postby Bulworthy Project » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 pm

If they're concerned that you will use excessive water, you could always get them to fit a water meter and agree a maximum usage.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:04 am
Location: Rackenford, Devon

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests