Small Woodland Owners' Group

car boot booty

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

car boot booty

Postby smojo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Thought it would be interesting to see what anyone finds at car boot sales that are useful for their woods and what they intend doing with them.

Today I picked up a big thick nylon tow rope for £1.50. I have a hung up fallen sycamore. My idea is to cut it at the base, I don't think it's gonna move anymore on it's own, fasten a strong rope around the base and attach the towrope to it and my tow ball on the car. Then drag it off the tree it's hung on. Last week I bought two nylon haulage straps for £3 so they might help with the task above.

In the past I've found - a nice old hoe (like a mattock but without the pick end) for £3. Good for clearing the ground ready for replanting. A German ex-army combat jacket for a fiver, ideal protection for winter grubbing around in the undergrowth and two pairs of ex-army, unused, heavy duty waterproof over-trousers for £2 each. Been great to pop on when it's rained and the undergrowth I'm clearing is wet. Two small oilstones for sharpening tools 50p each.

What bargains have you found?
smojo

Re: car boot booty

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Not so much car boot as Wood Fair and Axminster Power Tools Booty. Getting well tooled up this month to go for making green furniture. Alaskan Mill, new bar and ripping chain arrive tomorrow. This lot are a combination of antique and new. I think my favourites are the antique draw knife, chunky froe blade and whittling knife. Still got quite a few I'm after, Tenon cutters, Lie Nielson Dowel Plate, Saburr Tooth carving discs, Draw Horse (to make), sash clamps, and the small matter of a very big chainsaw and a large shed. The debit card has friction burns.

tooled up 2.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Andy M » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 pm

What is the big whetstone for ? Have you got an English scythe?
Andy M

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Sharpening stone £2, well useful for the brush-hook, bush knife, axes, machetes and other hand removing devices.
oldclaypaws

Postby Andy M » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Get yourself a waterstone for the lovely looking drawknife.
Andy M

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 am

not a boot sale, but e bay from Germany, cost around £25 as I have a German friend that brought them back save postage

Dexter's Shed

Postby Dave and Verity » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:01 am

I picked up a logging jack for £15 a couple of weeks ago. Shame I forgot to take it to the woods this weekend. DOH!

Dave
Dave and Verity

Postby smojo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Some cool stuff. I have a similar drawknife I bought on Ebay but with round handles. Think it's French. Cost me about £20 though but it's great. Looking for straight bladed one now.
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Round here, car boots seem to be largely unwanted 'orrible ornaments, toys, and the odd commercial seller of tools, plants and dog chews. I did wonder and don't know if anyone has experience, of whether these illustrious venues might be suitable for vending woodland products such as log nets, timber, charcoal or garden furniture. I suspect it could be hard work if everyone expects the starting point for negotiation is 50p, but has anyone tried to sell woodland products at boot fairs? They are at least cheap, local and fairly well attended. A guy at the last one I went to had 2 reconditioned garden tractors and sold one for £300, so I guess anything is possible.....?
oldclaypaws

Postby Dave and Verity » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:31 am

I work as a self employed picture framer, we have a shop that sells art and craft materials. We tried selling some slow moving stock at a CBS. I put together a bundle of stuff that would retail at £85, priced it at £30. I had one woman interested, very interested, she wanted it, but wouldn't go any higher than £15. None of my framed prints sold even though they were priced below the price of the frame on its own.

My view is that unless you are prepared to give things away, boot sales are not the venue.

Davewell
Dave and Verity

Next

Return to General