Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree Bogs

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Tree Bogs

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:37 am

smojo wrote:... because it will only be used very occasionally, not to bother with a bucket at all but just dig a hole ...

That's pretty much what we've got, a two feet square hole about six feet deep over which I've built a wooden structure containing a cover box with a seat and lid - though we haven't actually started using it yet as I've still some finishing off to do. Anyone only wanting to pee will be encouraged to just go in the woods as previously to keep the liquids out. Solids will be sprinkled with either sawdust or ash - haven't decided which to use yet.
SimonFisher

Postby smojo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 am

Yeah, that was my original plan then I started reading about how human pathogens can get into the soil and travel a fair distance and potentially cause health issues. I reckon that's just another case of being over cautious. I mean what about all the crap we dump in rivers from sewers and stuff. I reckon the odd poo and pee in my woods is not gonna do any harm. Yep - a big hole with a box around it and a seat should do. I can keep a watertight container of woodash, dead leaves etc by the side to cover anything solid.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:24 am

smojo wrote:Yeah, that was my original plan then I started reading about how human pathogens can get into the soil and travel a fair distance and potentially cause health issues. I reckon that's just another case of being over cautious. I mean what about all the crap we dump in rivers from sewers and stuff. I reckon the odd poo and pee in my woods is not gonna do any harm. Yep - a big hole with a box around it and a seat should do. I can keep a watertight container of woodash, dead leaves etc by the side to cover anything solid.

my thoughts too smojo, this in case you haven't seen it, is our loo

http://youtu.be/DPkfanb5TSg

it's since been moved around 20ft away, as we have a very clay soil, we found the hole filled up with water in the wetter months, any "lady" visitors seem to not want to use it for the fear of spiders, so although I like the idea of a raised shed with large water butt and lid underneath, it seems a lot of hard work to make something, that ultimately will still get creepy crawleys in it, and thus some guests will still "hold it in"
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:47 am

[quote any "lady" visitors seem to not want to use it for the fear of spiders,][/quote]

Cor you've got a posh bog mate. How do the spiders feel about someone dropping their kecks and peeing on them. You have to see it from both sides :lol:
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:58 pm

I think anyone who wants to put their own existence into a wider context and realise how fortunate we are in the UK should look at the following article. For us, a crapshack in the woods is a primitive and fun contrast to our otherwise pampered existences. For much of the world, such facilities are the norm, often shared with hundreds of others, with the waste going into the local water supply. Not time you turn on a tap or flush the loo, spare a thought for the third world and count your blessings. We really are very fortunate and have little to truly complain about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-30027513
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:23 pm

for anyone that uses facebook, heres a good group to join, lots of info on composting toilets

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1487421438198643/
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:55 pm

What's Facebook?
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Wendelspanswick wrote:What's Facebook?

it's today's version of going down the pub, thank your lucky stars you're a technophobe
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Not cheap, but I found this on Fleabay. Surely the coolest potential bog-hut. "I won't be long, just off to the outer edge of the galaxy for 5 minutes"

A competent craftsman should be able to make his own, I'm working on it but having a bit of an issue getting the temporal stabiliser to work right. Just tried to arrive in the first minute of the 1955 Cup Final to see Jackie Milburn's goal, but was a few thousand years out and got chased by a sabre toothed tiger. Needed quite a bit of loo roll after that episode.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-telephone-box-full-size-/121530877781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4bce0755
oldclaypaws

Previous

Return to General