Small Woodland Owners' Group

Old maps

Recommended reading, web sites, resources

Postby tracy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 am

Nigel G has sent us an interesting website where you can view old maps of your woodland:

He says: The old map site I mentioned is: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

The software takes a while to get into but it is worth the effort since you can view for free really good maps and order copies if you want them. Start by typing a village name near the wood you want to view into the search box and and hitting GO. Then drag the resulting map to centre the area you want to view and double click on the centre of the bit you want to view. Wait for the map list on the right to be populated and then use the slide bar to see what is available. Click on ENLARGE MAP to gat the detailed map up. It may take a while to load. If you use the enhance zoom facility you get incredible clear detail. I've just had a look at Orton Wood and they have the 1875, 1897 and 1910 OS maps at a scale of 1:2500 (i.e. 25 inches to the mile). These clearly show the gradual filling in of the old field system within the wood.

All the best

Nigel G

tracy

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Great web site. It look like one of my woods was a field up to the 1890's. It has plenty of ancient woodland indicators, which I guess come across from the neighbouring ancient woodland.

Darren

Postby jennysmate » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks for posting this.

Found out that there was a house in my wood, up until the 1961 map. I wonder if theyd let me re build it.............................

jennysmate

Postby jillybean » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:50 am

Oh my goodness what a bit of luck. see if the foundations are still there! I think that strengthens your case no end. Of course it means losing woodland though .......

jillybean

Postby RichardKing » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 am

Very interesting, but does not actually add to my knowledge. Confirms that one track is older, but does does not show the more ancient trackways found during the archaeological survey. Shows the rather curious grove of old Scots Pines, but since they are more than a metre in diameter I knew that they must have been there more than a hundred years anyway.

RichardKing

Postby docsquid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:13 pm

If you still have foundations you should be able to build something there, although whether you are allowed to build a residence is questionable. We were allowed to build an agricultural shed to house the tractor on an existing foundation for a building formerly used for sheep/pigs. However it is doubtful we would be allowed to restore an existing derelict building for a residence because it fell out of use as a residence and became stables before the roof fell in.

We learned of the existing foundation from the Old Maps web site, and it was helpful in our case for a shed!

docsquid

Postby jennysmate » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:46 am

Had a good look for the building shown on the old maps, but could only find a pile of bricks, possibly a chimney as right size. Must have been a wooden structure used as a shelter when they worked the woods commercially. Oh well.

jennysmate

Re: Old maps

Postby Landpikey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Our wood is in Aberdeenshire so we had to go via the National Library of Scotland.

http://maps.nls.uk/

I have ordered a copy of a map covering the area where our wood (from 1874) is (£6 plus postage) but, true to form, where our house is (4 miles away) is on a different map!!! :cry:

It has shown us that when the map was drawn the area was just fields. As we hadn't found any massive trees or stumps we suspected as much anyway. The neighbours wood (just over the ditch) however, was there and looks like it may be ancient.
Landpikey

Postby dredger99 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Landpikey.

You couldn't post a link directly to the map in question could you, i have just spent most of my lunchtime :lol: looking for it without success.
It would be much appreciated.

Rgds Dredger99
dredger99

Postby Landpikey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Dredger - leave it with me. If I don't get it done tonight I will do it during the forthcoming casing break ;)

We've had a few big conifers go over in our corner - I hope your trees are doing well.

We are looking forward to poking our noses around your place when I'm back. We'll drop you a line closer to the date and perhaps a cuppa could be taken? (with biscuits of course!).

Cheers
Dave
Landpikey

Next

Return to Woodland Owners Wish List