Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chainsaw courses

Recommended reading, web sites, resources

Postby pete » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi everyone, I'm probably being dumb, but is there any existing info on the best courses on chainsaw use anywhere on the web-site or the Forum? And if not, then can anyone make some recommendations because this is obviously basic resource stuff for new woodland owners.

I'm actually looking for a course that doesn't interfere with a Mon-Fri job, or minimally. Perhaps a full weekend or even a day a weekend over several weekends.

I feel a bit sheepish going on a course now, because I've used a small bladed Huskvarna saw for some years, self-taught after lots of reading, plus study of internet and YouTube videos. But I want to buy a Stihl MS 650 20" for bigger work and it seems the manufacturers have a policy of not allowing internet sales (where one can save a lot of money) unless you can prove you're a 'professional'. So it looks like I have to go on a course after all! Recommendations for the Herts/Beds/Northants area very welcome please.

pete

Postby tracy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Pete

No, we haven't collected a list of recommended chainsaw courses yet - so we can start one here. Anyone able to help?

tracy

Postby coppiceer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Try the Education & Training forum on ARBTALK:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/training-education/

coppiceer

Postby Fuzzy-Felt Bloke » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

The real reason for a chainsaw training course is to show you safe methods of felling and de-limbing trees, not how much you can save. A full NPTC Cert a course will cost around £400 - £500, will you save this much on a chainsaw. Unless you are buying a top handle saw, I would just go local and buy one from a store, unless you feel that you need training in how to fell a tree safely, and do the course for the right reason.

Tom

Wildlife & Environmental Training Company

www.wildlifeenvironmentaltraining.co.uk

Helping Nature While Helping Yourself

Fuzzy-Felt Bloke

Postby treebloke » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Speak with Liam at http://www.treevolution.co.uk/ he is probably the most helpfull and knowledgable guy you will ever meet and does courses all over the country.

treebloke

Postby happybonzo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Like this one? http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/stihl-ms650-84-9cc-30-75cm-professional-petrol-chainsaw.html

happybonzo

Postby pete » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 am

Thanks for those replies, everyone. I've located a course at Shuttleworth College which is pretty close to me and has an ok web-site. It seems the courses aren't cheap though, bearing in mind one needs 3 courses really; the basic maintenance course, the small tree course, and the medium-sized tree course. All at around £400 each, which is no small sum. But maybe worth a chainsaw kick-back injury.

I definitely think it would be worth SWOG having a few names up our sleeves for future enquiries, so keep them coming!

As for that link you recommended, HappyBonzo......wow, that's a mean machine (the 650) but I don't think I could cope with a 30" blade! (I'll go for the 650 with a 24". I've got a huge, literally huge old lime to cut up which will make lousy firewood but be a wood-carvers delight. Actually that's a wonderful web-site for chainsaws which everyone should make a note of for several reasons: its centrally placed in England (Derbyshire), offers free delivery by van (apparently anywhere) and offers really great reductions on Stihl's list prices, PLUS a further 10% off in January! Thanks, HappyBonzo!

pete

Postby rogerspianocat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:04 pm

http://www.lowimpact.org/sudbury_chainsaw.htm, or others run by LILI (low impact living initiative), might be worth a look - I haven't been on one of their chainsaw courses, so can't exactly reccommend it, but about as cheap as you'll get, I think.

rogerspianocat

Re: Chainsaw courses

Postby Lenny » Tue May 13, 2014 6:21 pm

I am actually a tad disturbed by the fact that someone would want to use a saw without any training!!! fair play for looking at videos, but everyone needs the training. That's why companies want to see certification.

I had plenty of hours training, aprox 30 hours before I could do an assessment of my ability. even then, I passed but would not consider myself any good at it. I've been in the industry a long time, and have worked with people straight out of college, these guys typically have 4 days of training. Most of it seems to be in the class room. This again is no good! It's all about practical experience with an experienced person.

I would highly recommend training with a registered trainer. They know their stuff and will charge you £80 a day.

Please anyone out there who wants to use ANY saw, get some training, I've seen some terrible things in my time, It's not just the saw that can hurt you!!

Len
Lenny

Re: Chainsaw courses

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue May 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Lenny wrote:I am actually a tad disturbed by the fact that someone would want to use a saw without any training!!!
Len

better not chat to me then,
I'm quite surprised though, that you have revived a 2yr old post, rather than some on my younger one's on you tube training
Dexter's Shed

Next

Return to Woodland Owners Wish List