Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello from Mcr

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hello from Mcr

Postby sweeperliam » Wed May 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi,

I don't own a wood (yet!) but am trying to find out as much as possible before taking the plunge. I'd love a space to 'get away from it all' with my little girl, just a couple of acres, and hopefully give a little something back to nature by looking after and taking good care of the wood. I'm looking within an hour of Manchester really (live near Stalybridge) so I can be there most weekends when it isn't freezing.

I'll likely be asking lots of 'newbie' questions over the next few weeks and months, nice to meet you all!
sweeperliam

Re: Hello from Mcr

Postby SimonFisher » Thu May 28, 2015 10:44 am

Hello and welcome.

Nice to hear from you. We were new to all of this too when we bought our first woods in 2006 and then our second in 2008 - one of the best things were ever did.

Look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes with your quest for your own little bit.

Simon
SimonFisher

Postby splodger » Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 pm

hi sweeperliam and wlcome

manchester seems a world away from me nowadays - but i have been there on several occasions, so can appreciate your wish for a bit of outdoors / natural peace. ;)

re "newbie questions" - etc. i am sure that the friendly and obliging folk that frequent the boards will be more than happy to answer your questions / queries. 8-)
splodger

Postby sweeperliam » Fri May 29, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks Simon and Splodger,

Thankfully I live right on the very edge of Greater Manchester with the Pennines outside the living room window, 2 minutes walk from my front door and you're in the middle of nowhere but owning my own wood would be wonderful and give a real sense of getting away. I am guilty of the odd wild camping trip too around the reservoirs near me, sorry United Utilities!
sweeperliam

Postby Campievanner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:29 pm

I know how you feel we live in Manchester too but near to Old Trafford.
We looked for a long time but couldn't find anything nearby so ended up with a piece in South Yorkshire - about 1.5 hour door to tree. We have had it since Christmas and have just submitted my TPO paperwork today.
Good luck with your search.
Campievanner

Return to Introductions