Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi from york

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hi from york

Postby arro » Sun May 03, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi. I have just joind this group and i am just sizing up if owning a small wood is for me and my family.
I have always spent a lot of time in woodland right from been young and would like to have somewhere to get away from normal life.

I'm not sure I would have the time or knolage to manage any woodland effectivley and so I am reading as much as possible to help me decide.

Anyone who is close to york and would like a hand any time just ask as its a good excuse to get out and enjoy myself.

Thanks to Richard for helping me get signed up.

Matt
arro

Re: Hi from york

Postby tbuy » Sun May 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Arro. I've a small wood close to York. You're welcome to visit and have a chat about small woodland ownership and maybe meet some of my woodland neighbours.
tbuy
tbuy

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon May 04, 2015 10:28 am

The good thing with a wood is it will take as much or as little management time as you can spare!
You can have a heavily manicured wood involving huge amounts of time and energy or alternatively you can sit back and let nature take its course.
Wendelspanswick

Postby arro » Mon May 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Thank you tbuy, thats a kind offer. Prob best to meet for a coffee first somewhere, that way we both know who we are meeting in the woods and have a good idea they are not some syco. I cannot see any contact details for you on your profile so if you could send me an email ([email protected]) we can exchange phone numbers and arrange a meeting to suit your self.

I understand what you are saying wendalspanwick but I need to know what I am getting into, the woods im looking at are the lower end of the price spectrum and approaching my top budget. I understand you cannot buy a perl for a penny but I also cannot get involved with a money pit also.

Thanks for the welcome also guys :)
arro

Postby Rich » Tue May 05, 2015 11:58 am

arro wrote:Thank you tbuy, thats a kind offer. Prob best to meet for a coffee first somewhere, that way we both know who we are meeting in the woods and have a good idea they are not some syco. I cannot see any contact details for you on your profile so if you could send me an email ([email protected]) we can exchange phone numbers and arrange a meeting to suit your self.

You might find the private messaging feature of the board useful for this kind of arrangement. It just saves publishing an email address on a public board. You will find it in the user control panel.
Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby smojo » Fri May 15, 2015 12:02 pm

I'm not sure I would have the time or knolage to manage any woodland effectivley and so I am reading as much as possible to help me decide.

I'm just a year into buying mine and absolutely love it. I asked the same question about how much time you need. Someone said somewhere between zero and unlimited. I know someone who just likes to go bushcrafting in theirs and not change anything but you might find that as you learn about forestry, you will want to manage it to improve the health and look of your wood. And what's more it's very satisfying getting stuck into some proper manual graft!
smojo

Return to Introductions