Small Woodland Owners' Group

hello

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

hello

Postby Terry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am

Quick introduction - I am Terry and own a few acres of 'woodland' in the Forest of Dean, Glos. It is officially agricultural land but has been left to its own devices for a very long time and we have a mix of trees - mainly ash and hazel, but also oak, elder, sycamore, hawthorn, blackthorn, elms, field maple and probably a few others as well. Woods cover about 5 acres and we have another 4,5 - ish which was last used more than 20 years ago as pasture, but has been overrun with bracken and bramble and is slowly being taken over by self seeding trees.
I am very keen to learn a lot about the ecological side of things, initially what is actually growing and living here - beyond the obvious.
Have also been reading extensively of late on management options and am a little overwhelmed by the many possibilities and am looking to narrow things down and come up with a long term low impact 'management' plan.
Looking forward to reading about other members experiences and sharing my own and mainly learning a lot.
Apologies in advance for any silly questions - someone has to ask them :oops: :D
Terry

Re: hello

Postby Rich » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:30 am

Hi Terry,
Welcome to the forum, and don't worry about any 'silly' questions, (I've probably asked them already) we're a very tolerant bunch and there's lots of really knowledgable people who are happy to help. :D

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Terry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Rich, thanks for the welcome.
Not had as much time as I would like as yet to read up previous posts, but some useful ones picked up so far.
Terry

Postby Ray Perry » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi Terry, i was in the same position a few years ago and went at it a little too much in the first year!!! I would say take your time, get to know your wood well first before you do any mangement at all. Oh and have some campfires, cook some sausages and chill out.......... then, when you feel certain, start to manage.
Good luck
Ray
Ray Perry

Postby Terry » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi Ray
Know what you are saying, but have to admit that I have been chilling out for a while on the woodland.
Been a bit pre-occupied with getting the house renovated etc for a number of years and raising children and working away a lot, but its getting to the point where I feel I would like to get stuck in.
Initially for fuel purposes as we are reliant on wood for heating and hot water in the winter, but have long term ideas as well which need a bit of effort to get off the ground.
Just dont want to rush in and do more damage than good.
Have camped out with the children and made a few fires :D We are fortunate in that the land surrounds the house.
Terry

Return to Introductions