Small Woodland Owners' Group

Land Registry

Paperwork, grants, legal issues

Land Registry

Postby AndyW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi everyone, i'm just in the process of getting my woodland and was chatting with one of my woodland neighbours. They mentioned they never received anything after the money transfered. Is that normal? I would have thought that you got at least the certificate number. Can anyone confirm whats normal as there seems to be varied information out there.
Thanks in advance.
AndyW

Re: Land Registry

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:01 pm

the money goes via your solicitor, once contracts have been signed sealed delivered etc, you get the deeds,land registry etc in your name address from your solicitor, I too had worries about giving out a large sum of money before getting the paperwork back, but check with your solicitor, it's all above board as they hold the money
Dexter's Shed

Postby AndyW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Great, thanks for the help. I'll make sure I get the documents.
AndyW

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Our solicitor emailed copies of all the documents as they became available and gave us the the option of either having the originals couriered to us or they would hold them in their vault free of charge.
Wendelspanswick

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 am

Deeds are no longer relevant in asserting ownership in the case of registered property or land. Land Registry now maintains the title register.
See http://blog.landregistry.gov.uk/a-title-deed-is-a-friend-indeed/ for a simple explanation.

If you want to check that the wood is now correctly registered in your own name, you could check with Land Registry.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am

The system must have changed in the last couple of years, we have a wad of documents including all manor of maps and documents, along with a certificate. The additional information you can glean from all the paperwork is quite useful- for example it shows historic maps with the old rides marked on and access points. We were also fortunate to inherit fairly recent professional species surveys.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 am

we too received a large wad of files,maps etc
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:15 am

The Land Registry is taken a long time to complete. I exchanged contracts in June and have just had the final bill from my solicitor because the registry has only just come through. I think she said the govt. are gearing up to sell if off to private sector and it has caused long delays. My solicitor has all the deeds etc and is keeping them for me for free. I do have copies of the searches and stuff which is sufficient to keep me happy.
smojo

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:42 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:The system must have changed in the last couple of years, we have a wad of documents including all manor of maps and documents...

Prior to any piece of land or property being registered at Land Registry, proof of your right to sell it would be based on you having not only the most recent deed showing your acquisition, but all of those preceding it which form a chain showing the transfer of the property from some start point to the person from whom you acquired it. Thus the deeds were an important set of documents allowing you to prove your ownership of land/property and without which you would have difficulty being able to sell. Thus the reason mortgage companies would insist on holding the deeds while a mortgage is outstanding or a solicitor would offer to keep your deeds safe on your behalf to reduce the likliehood of them being lost, damaged or stolen.

Many people will still have those old deeds and will offer them up to their solicitor when they begin the process of selling land or property. They make their way to the buyer's solicitor who will then pass them to the buyer when the transfer is completed, in much the same way that these days you are likely to get any building control compliance certificates for any building work such as home extensions. Thus many people end up receiving these old deeds for the property/land they've bought, but they're no longer the evidence they once were of your ownership.

They can be very interesting. The deeds for the house I live in showed the transfer of land from right back when it was all part of the estate of the 'the big house' or 'the manor', and more recently that a bit of our garden was sold to a neighbour.
SimonFisher

Postby AndyW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the help.
AndyW

Next

Return to All things legal