Small Woodland Owners' Group

building a woodland shelter

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: building a woodland shelter

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:48 pm

smojo wrote:... pig arc ... fix some hooks to the inside ... and just hang the inner tent from the hooks when you want to sleep ... won't get wet if it rains ...

You'll propbably be awake though with the noise of the rain hammering on the arc!
SimonFisher

Postby smojo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:33 am

I'm used to that, we have a caravan and I find it quite soothing. ;)
smojo

Postby boxerman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Just had a look in the attic and, sorry, I can't help with an old one - must have cleared them all out at some time.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Rather than buying a pig arc and then faffing about raising the height 'cos its too low and putting tents inside to stop the condensation, why not just go for one of these which is the same shape, right height, cheap (£49), no condensation issues, spacious, and quite useful as a seasonal log store? Have to say I'm quite tempted myself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanised-Steel-Frame-Polytunnel-Greenhouse-Pollytunnel-Poly-Tunnel-3-75m-x-2m-/380782374716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58a865ef3c
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:37 pm

we actually had one of those in the back garden, lasted about 3yrs till the plastic rotted, very lightweight, we still had to secure it all around the edges on railway sleepers, without it would have blown away, and having had our heavier marquee blown over a number of times in the wood, I doubt this would last all that long.

I can understand your concerns about being raped in the dead of night, having started our sleep overs in DD hammocks with fly sheets, no matter how well you feel within your woods, darkness seems to bring out the scare mongers in us all, our reason for adding the caravan, ticks all the boxes, a place to shelter from the weather, make a cuppa and for sleeping in.

shotguns also make you feel safer :lol:
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:02 am

we actually had one of those in the back garden, lasted about 3yrs till the plastic rotted, very lightweight

My doubts too.

I can understand your concerns about being raped in the dead of night, having started our sleep overs in DD hammocks with fly sheets, no matter how well you feel within your woods, darkness seems to bring out the scare mongers in us all, our reason for adding the caravan,

I keep mentioning my concerns for vandalism and personal security. So far I have no real reason to worry about that but it's early days of ownership. So far I have heard of a couple of things being stolen from neighbours whose plots border a field, two Eastern Europeans sitting in another owners summerhouse and tales of poachers in the past. I'm not paranoid or a scaredy cat generally but as you say, the dark brings out childhood and primeval fears so I'm trying to find an all round solution that is resilient to the weather and trespassers, cheapish, easy to erect and visually blends with the wood. I do like the idea of a cheapo caravan (we are caravanners anyway but I don't want to take that one there. My concerns for leaving a caravan is mainly one of aesthetics and a target for would-be vandals/trespassers. Sometimes though, you just have to go for it. Pig arc still looking my favourite.

shotguns also make you feel safer :lol:

Don't have one but I do have a big f***-off machete which will be lying by my side. Part of my desire to sleep over is to try to overcome those fears of vulnerability.
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:13 am

one of our neighbours were camping, inside their tent they heard someone mutter "don't go that way, there's people camping" more than likely they were poachers as we have many rabbits/deer/pheasant

I think most country people know that they need to trespass without letting on to the owners that they were ever there, so stuff does not get pinched, we have signs dotted along footpaths, pointing out that armed trespass carries a min 10yr sentence, plus more signs with shooting 24hrs beware

whether it just makes me feel better or actually works, but before we go to bed/camping, I let off a couple of shots, as sound carries,, I hope it lets others know we are there
Last edited by Dexter's Shed on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:27 am

ass sound carries

If your ass sounds are that loud, you need to cut down on the beans. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby Andy & Heather » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Could you contact a manufacturer of corregated sheets and ask for a quote for the profile you want? That way you could go for a J shape which would give you the extra height. This link http://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/produc ... el-sheets/ mentions anderson shelters (first one that came up with google search but no idea if they are any good)
Andy & Heather

Postby smojo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks, Yes I've thought about that and seen the same website too. It's gonna be a spring/summer project so at the moment, I'm just sussing out the various possible designs and materials.
smojo

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities