Small Woodland Owners' Group

building a woodland shelter

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: building a woodland shelter

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:25 am

smojo wrote:
This link is arc shaped corrugated sheeting. They state three sheets would make a shelter 8' x 6ft 9" and 4' high would cost about £100 which seems reasonable. It could be built up on a Would last for years with no maintenance and could be moved quite easily if required. I might have just talked myself into getting one ;)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/roofing-ventilation/field-shelters-dog-kennels-pig-ark-sheets-corrugated-galvanized-0.7mm-275g/1087405468

just looked on the bay of E, prices vary between your quoted £100 and upto £400
an alternative way would be to make your ply ends, then buy used sheets and use them length ways, they would bend easy around the ply ends, still giving you the same shape/end result, ok the ridges would run the wrong way, but it's not the end of the earth, would be easier to transport flat sheets in too
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Although I would love Dexter's roundhouse idea I can see a few problems for me - time to build, vulnerable to vandals etc whereas a pig hut is looking good on many fronts. Not going to get burnt down by vandals if that is a likely concern for someone. Won't rot away for many years. Portable and relatively quick and easy to construct. Relatively cheap. The downside is the low arc so thinking about it, the space along the sides won't be all that useable for sitting unless you are a hunchback. Solution is to raise it a couple of feet or find another design that has straighter sides. You can buy the sheets in shorter lengths and wider arcs so maybe it's possible to build something more like an old fashioned workmans hut or Anderson shelter by using straight panels for the sides and a couple of short arcs bolted together to form the roof. I do like the one piece pig hut panels though as they would be more or less self supporting and almost instant build. I would probably make the back panel from hazel wattle or something natural and either leave the
front open for light or just a simple wattle panel again. I wouldn't leave any tools or valuables in and by not having it locked, no incentive to wreck it to get in.

Paws - the bus idea is not one of your better ones. Looks like a mobile library or old folks bus outing or summat :lol:
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:47 pm

smojo wrote: The downside is the low arc so thinking about it, the space along the sides won't be all that useable for sitting unless you are a hunchback. Solution is to raise it a couple of feet

err, aint that what I said already,lol :o

Dexter's Shed wrote: you could set up a couple of logs on their sides, to place this onto, giving a bit of extra height,

by raising it a couple of feet, the sides would be perfectly ok for sitting against
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:31 am

Yeah sorry you did mate. My heads all over the place. My mum had a fall yesterday and I found her unconscious on her bedroom floor. Spent most of the day at hospital. These things are quite traumatic. Nice to come back here for a bit of woodland sanity though. She seems to be OK apart from badly bruised. She's a tough all gal almost 93 and keeps bouncing back.
smojo

Postby boxerman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:04 am

Hope she recovers OK, Smojo. My Mum's 91 so I know just how stressful it can be when something happens. The worst I can remember was a few years ago she managed to get knocked over on a pedestrian crossing and a passerby phoned while she was being put in the ambulance - absolutely black and blue all over but not one broken bone - if they get to that age they're usually pretty tough...
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby smojo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:11 pm

cheers Phil - to make matters worse she has advanced macular degeneration and can hardly see anything now + she's pretty deaf. Nowt to be said for getting old :cry:
smojo

Postby boxerman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:06 pm

advanced macular degeneration and can hardly see anything now + she's pretty deaf.

Snap..... was registered blind early this year but still copes with living on her own.
Phil

boxerman

Postby smojo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:29 am

I've got another idea brewing to go hand in hand with the pig arc. I want to do some overnight camping next summer and although I have a tent, am looking for a quicker and more secure way of overnighting. Some kind of permanent solution would be ideal but local planning laws prevent us building anything that looks inhabitable. A caravan is permitted but don't think I want to go that route. I started thinking about making the pig arc with benches and a drop-in extra board that could take a sleeping bag. But then I figured the arc is going to attract insects and other creepy crawlies and not be very nice to sleep in. Then the solution came. Fix some hooks to the inside, buy a small cheapo tent (boot sales) the type with a separate inner and flysheet. Ditch the flysheet and just hang the inner tent from the hooks when you want to sleep over. You get an insect-proof compartment that won't get wet if it rains (and therefor don't have the hassle of drying it when you get home.) It gives a bit more sense of security from intruders (human or animal) because you could fit a wattle door across the opening of the pig arc and lock yourself in with a padlock if you feel vulnerable. It's quick and easy to erect and take down and leaves no evidence to unwanted guests or council planning officers that you might use the shelter to sleep in. Bingo.
smojo

Postby boxerman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:50 am

Provided that the pig arc isn't dripping with condensation that sounds like it could work tho you'd still need to peg out the base and maybe rig a guy to either side to stop the sides coming in on you. When I get a minute I'll have a root in the attic to see if I have an old tent that you could use.
Phil

boxerman

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:59 am

It gives a bit more sense of security from intruders (human or animal) because you could fit a wattle door across the opening of the pig arc and lock yourself in with a padlock if you feel vulnerable.

What demonic threats are you anticipating trying to menace you in an English wood overnight? Would it be a man eating rabbit, or perhaps the militant extremist wing of the local Women's Institute ? :shock:
oldclaypaws

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities