Small Woodland Owners' Group

building a woodland shelter

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

building a woodland shelter

Postby smojo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 am

I'm trying to figure out what type of shelter to build for my woodland. Here's the remit - I want something simple that's going to keep the rain off my head and maybe store some dry firewood. Don't intend sleeping in it, it's just a somewhere to stay dry if it pours down. It has to be fairly easy to build and inexpensive. It's not competing for George Clarke's Amazing Spaces. If possible using some of my raw woodland materials. I don't have much weather resistant timber to use like oak, larch, sweet chestnut but I will have some hazel coppice material poles and rods when I get permission to cut.

I thought of the traditional semi-circular bender but feel that they are quite a wind-trap and not ideal to leave up permanently. So I'm figuring a heavy duty camo tarp as a roof, supported on some sort of pole frame might fit the bill. Something like this appeals. Maybe it could incorporate a simple bench and table to work or rest equipment on.

http://cdn.bealers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/img_1253.jpg

Anyone built such a thing? Any other design suggestions welcome. If I could use some recycled stuff that would be good too.
smojo

Re: building a woodland shelter

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:56 am

It looks good but I would be worried that if left up during high winds you would be left with just a frame on your return!
What about a pole between two trees with your tarp draped over and guyed out but with the ability to un-guy and furl/roll up the tarp onto the ridge pole by rolling it up in situ. Similar to roller reefing on a yacht.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 am

The simplest and quickest, without any poles is run a taut line between 2 trees, chuck over a tarp and tether the corners.

img_2350.jpg

Google 'tarpaulin shelter' images or 'bushcraft' or 'woodland' shelter, there are loads of fun variants. I think this 'survival skills' is just an excuse to be a big kid again !

Rolling reefers on a yacht? Hmmm.... 8-)
Attachments
shelter.jpg
shelter.jpg (86.97 KiB) Viewed 31604 times
oldclaypaws

Postby Andy M » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:09 am

As a bodgers's shelter, I have an ex-military parachute (bought off Ebay) hanging from a tree. Not 100% waterproof, but even when raining cats and dogs I only feel a minimal degree of dampness. I store tools in it and they don't rust. A metal chiminea in the middle makes it toasty warm.

(Will try and post some photos of mine but this site does not make it easy)

See http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/parachu ... elter.html [url]to get an idea. Mine is closer to the ground and lets less draught in. Obviously security may be a problem.
Andy M

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:10 pm

smojo wrote: but I will have some hazel coppice material poles and rods when I get permission to cut.

seriously :roll:

I class that as woodland management,

one of our neighbours has taken a square tarp, those with the eyelets, he then edged the tarp with rope passed in and out of the eye's, four trees in his camping area then have rope tied around them and run out to the four edges of tarp, but secured to the rope edging rather than the tarp itself, it's been up now for over 14 months, and has stood up against those high winds we had, as the tarp is not secured as such, no rips have occurred, unlike ours which was fixed at each eyelet and of course, ripped to shreds in the high winds
Dexter's Shed

Postby jennysmate » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Can anyone suggest a supplier of good quality camo tarps?
The ones I've used so far have all ripped.
jennysmate

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:37 pm

jennysmate wrote:Can anyone suggest a supplier of good quality camo tarps?
The ones I've used so far have all ripped.

ex army?

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk ... 24047.html
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Hello
We use these, they last a season plus (what ever a season is) then use insect nibbled / fire spark holed one as log pile covers
Have these on a rope between 2 trees and drag them back when we leave Takes 2 minutes to pull out when wanted and to tent peg down or bungee to trees
http://www.uktarps.com/tarpaulins/80gsm ... tarpaulins
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby smojo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes take your point about it blowing off the frame. I had considered the tarp-between-two-trees solution but I was thinking something more durable and left in situ. The tarp-on-a roller log sounds interesting will give that one some thought. Love the parachute thing but would worry it might take off either by natural air movement or by thieves (looks rather too desirable) :shock:

Wondering about making something like hazel hurdles on three sides with a plastic tarp top trapped between poles underneath and above to stop wind blowing it away or a bit more permanent with some corrugated sheeting? Something like this but not as posh :?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepepler/12858937824/

[url]or this but a bit more posh (a tarp under the roof branches)[/url]

I class that as woodland management,

I was surprised too when I asked the council tree man whether coppiced hazel came under the TPO as in my opinion it is more a bush than a tree. (muli-stemmed rather than single) He said strictly speaking they class it as a tree but as it had previously been coppiced, they could hardly refuse permission. Still a bit windy about facing a max fine of £20k/tree and probably won't do anything till winter anyway.
Last edited by smojo on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
smojo

Postby jennysmate » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks Barrowers, good site with all the tarps you ever wanted and good price.
jennysmate

Next

Return to Woodland Activities