Small Woodland Owners' Group

camping and sleeping quarters

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

camping and sleeping quarters

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:40 pm

it's quite funny how age affects you, in mind your still a spring chicken, but it's the body that brings you back down to earth with a thump
when we first started staying at our woods, Hammocks were our first port of call, the idea of waking up surrounded by nature was appealing, but after having used them on three different occasions last year I have to say, maybe they are not meant for tall people :D each time I'd had a hard job getting comfy, and getting to sleep, and then waking up to nature, slightly damp from the early morning dew

so we spotted a canvas 4mtr bell tent, sewn in grown sheet and big enough for two double mattresses (although only one would be used) as that was only purchased at the end of October, we have not even tried it out.

but then, we spotted a cheap complete caravan, and have to say, it ticked lots of boxes, so that is now sitting on our drive as we get it ready for taking to our woods, it's too WHITE to start with, would stick out like a sore thumb, so it's getting a paint job, plus SWMBO is making new vinyl seat covers and new DPM curtains, it'll mean that we can stay at the woods, whatever month and whatever the weather, if it's wet or cold, it'll be the caravan, if it's nice and dry, then the bell tent will come into play

Im using a black roof paint to completely paint over everything, then nato green patches will finish it off, I'll add more pictures as we get them
Dexter's Shed

Re: camping and sleeping quarters

Postby Bearwood » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:07 pm

I've been on a similar journey myself, having used hammocks for 10 years in a variety of guises. I still enjoy hammocks, but I see them more as a 'Saturday afternoon listening to the birds, drinking cider' kinda' thing now.

Tents are great, after all, nomadic peoples seen to have survived in sustainable luxury for thousands of years, but here in the UK damp and mould is a bit of an issue.

The obvious progression is the caravan, especially considering they're permitted in woodland for seasonal forestry workers. Keep us posted with the progress Dexter; I reckon it'll look great with a 5 metre square sheet of camo netting!
Bearwood

Postby The Barrowers » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 pm

Hello Nice van eventually Like the idea of covering with Tar like product as Woods kill caravans Look at de humidifier things as well

I hear that camo nets trap birds so maybe not the best unless you want a nest or two Looked at Nato green but maybe a mixture of any old freegle discarded paint is as good?
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby oldclaypaws » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:03 am

I did craft fairs for 20 years, and spent 10 weeks of the year living in either the back of a Transit van or a caravan, parked up usually within sight of a stately home. We were like welcome creative gypsies. The trouble with uninsulated vehicles like vans is in cooler weather your breath condenses on the metal roof interior and you get 'rained on' by your own emissions. I used to go down with chest problems every winter. A few people were in tents, but they often ended up aching and very soggy, the old timers liked their showers, gas heaters and chilled wine.

If Mrs Paws ever decides to kick me out, I'll be straight down the caravan merchants and be quite happy living in the wood in one; rainwater to wash in, gas bottles for heat, solar power to recharge batteries and a smartphone for t'internet. I did seriously suggest we sold the house and did just that, we could have bought a couple of flats to rent out and lived off the income without distractions like employment. Only complication is of course you'd get hassle from the Council if they twigged you were living there permanently, and I think Mrs Paws is a bit less of a dreamer. (or just more sensible).

With a caravan in the wood and a house though, who's to tell or count how often you're there, its the best of both worlds.

BTW Dextrous, with your colour scheme as it stands, you almost qualify as a Newcastle United supporter, says he as a long sufferer.

shearer.jpg
shearer.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 22592 times
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:59 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I did craft fairs for 20 years, and spent 10 weeks of the year living in either the back of a Transit van or a caravan, parked up usually within sight of a stately home. We were like welcome creative gypsies. The trouble with uninsulated vehicles like vans is in cooler weather your breath condenses on the metal roof interior and you get 'rained on' by your own emissions. I used to go down with chest problems every winter. A few people were in tents, but they often ended up aching and very soggy, the old timers liked their showers, gas heaters and chilled wine.

If Mrs Paws ever decides to kick me out, I'll be straight down the caravan merchants and be quite happy living in the wood in one; rainwater to wash in, gas bottles for heat, solar power to recharge batteries and a smartphone for t'internet. I did seriously suggest we sold the house and did just that, we could have bought a couple of flats to rent out and lived off the income without distractions like employment. Only complication is of course you'd get hassle from the Council if they twigged you were living there permanently, and I think Mrs Paws is a bit less of a dreamer. (or just more sensible).

With a caravan in the wood and a house though, who's to tell or count how often you're there, its the best of both worlds.

BTW Dextrous, with your colour scheme as it stands, you almost qualify as a Newcastle United supporter, says he as a long sufferer.

shearer.jpg

I can picture you in your wood now with your shirt off, in the middle of winter, with a bottle of Newkie Brun in your hand and your beer belly hanging over your trackie bottoms shouting at the squirrels to pass the nut and that the bat must be, well blind as a bat!
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:21 pm

thankfully the caravan is now all black and awaiting the nato green, good job as I've never been into football :D
one set of curtain in dpm made, the wife only has another four to go, the toilet room has been turned into a storage room, as we already have the woodland wc
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Hello For a chilly night with trusted friends, a bucket helps stepping into the rain and mist

They do a posh version of a bucket with a seat, lid etc. Nicer for the ladies
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:54 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Hello For a chilly night with trusted friends, a bucket helps stepping into the rain and mist

They do a posh version of a bucket with a seat, lid etc. Nicer for the ladies

our caravan did in fact come with a very good quality portaloo, but have offered it too a friend for a boat he has just bought, I can remember as a kid having to use a bucket as we only had an outside loo, looks like we have come full circle :lol:

I started painting on the nato green yesterday, and it reacted with the black roof paint :( so I quickly rollered everything but the roof, its given it a marble effect, quite camo looking, but once its had a few days to cure, I'll give it another coat, most of the curtains are now made, just the seats to recover, I removed the gas heater as it was unchecked, it gives us an extra storage cupboard and we can use the paraffin heater if needed that I bought a few weeks ago, yes we have vents open along with the skylight

Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:43 am

a very early start, and thanks to a woodland neighbour for his help and his defender and winch, we got it in position

Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am

Two points;

1) What does the lettering by the door say?

2) ...Looking at how near you are to a very large tree, I'd check the weather forecast before you kip there and make sure its not going to be windy....I've seen several just like that one on the right come down this year in our wood, and its easy to be complacent. You're no use to us squashed, Dexterat.

On the old gypo site in our wood, they cleared all the large trees round the perimeter to avoid squashing them. :( - Bonus is it means its a safe place for us to put a shed.

Don't want to be too 'health & safety' but big trees can be a hazard, particularly in a flimsy structure like a caravan which affords little protection.

Nice paint job. :mrgreen:
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to Woodland Activities