Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wood owner average age

Here's a place for 'Off Topic' discussions and general chit chat between member. Please keep to the guidelines of the forum, and if it turns into a useful 'Woodie' type discussion, hop back and post it over in the appropriate section in the main forum.

Re: Wood owner average age

Postby Bulworthy Project » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Oldclaypaws certainly out-ages us with his however many million years.

We're 33 and 41 respectively.

Although sometimes after a hard days housebuilding or charcoal making we do feel slightly older on a good day in the woods we feel slightly younger.

Anna and Pete
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:41 pm

The first ten million years were the worst. And the second ten million: they were the worst, too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that, I went into a bit of a decline.

Not my words, but a quotation or two for Terry H's digestion, from Marvin the paranoid android, penned by Douglas Adams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4P3pvKmbsg

Technically, as matter and energy can only be transformed, not destroyed, our component bits are as old as the universe and will always be around in one form or several others. You could say our current existence is but a brief transient moment, but our actions, their ripple effect consequences and our physical sub-parts are immortal.

All good stuff to consider when staring into the night sky round a campfire in the woods and discussing the meaning of life. (Its 42).
oldclaypaws

Postby Andy M » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:06 pm

42 is the answer to the ultimate question, not exactly the meaning of life.

Anyway, what about entropy?
Andy M

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Anyway, what about entropy?

We don't have one, we always allow free admission to the wood for invited visitors, there's no entro-fee. :lol:
oldclaypaws

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:04 pm

45 when I bought my wood nearly 2yrs ago.

Our car is nicknamed Marvin as it has a brain the size of a planet- and is very bossy
SitkaSpruce

Postby Zenith » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm 64 and my wife's 66. I wish we could have bought a wood years ago, but the right location never cropped up and we also thought we would never be able to afford one.

Fortunately, one came up just 8 miles away and my son and his wife came in with us to buy it, making it affordable.

We've had a lovely time there with two of our grandchildren today in glorious spring sunshine, and it made me feel much younger than my 64 years.

Woods should be prescribed on the National Health because they are such a wonderful way to relax.
Zenith

Postby Terry » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:18 pm

bought mine at 32 - was not looking particularly, but the previous owner who I had been friendly with during my first year in the village offered it to me which was handy in that it surrounded our house on three sides and was exceptionally cheap.
A bit different than for most on here and not sure that I deserved to get so lucky, but it has been a blessing in many ways - not the least of which was to be able to say to the children yesterday late that we could put the tent up and camp overnight without having to load the car and drive somewhere.
Terry

Postby smojo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:51 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:
Life? Don't talk to me about life! I have a million ideas, but, they all point to certain death. I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.

Or as Jim Morrison of the Doors said “Time to live, time to lie, time to laugh, and time to die. Take it easy baby. Take it as it comes.”

and

"No-one here gets out alive".
smojo

Postby J G Hunter » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 am

Can we talk about the age at which we plan to own?
J G Hunter

Previous

Return to Lounge Room