Small Woodland Owners' Group

weather watch thread

Here's a place for 'Off Topic' discussions and general chit chat between member. Please keep to the guidelines of the forum, and if it turns into a useful 'Woodie' type discussion, hop back and post it over in the appropriate section in the main forum.

weather watch thread

Postby splodger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:21 pm

don't know about anywhere else - but in the last 20 mins here (hants) it's got really fierce - winds are as high (if not a tad stronger)than those a few weeks ago - no lightning storms yet - but i'm guessing they are enroute

tomorrows forecast is dire for here - so i'm dreading next visit to woods :?

bit more worried - short term about local power lines - not seen such exagerated treetop movement for a while - might just get the candles out of the drawer :roll:
splodger

Re: weather watch thread

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm

We've just had lightning (one flash) here in the outer south-west London area.

Been down to our woods near Petersfield in Hampshire for most of the day, lovely calm and sunny weather. Noticed the wind was picking up when we got back 90 minutes ago and we've had rain for the last 30.
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:42 pm

was very muddy at our woods today, and the heavens opened up a hour or so ago here in essex
Dexter's Shed

Postby splodger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:27 pm

i's gone very quite here - lull before storm - probably
splodger

Postby splodger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:16 am

hmm i thought it was windier than usual - some reports locally of it being a mini tornado - there was a fair bit of damage in my area - but looks like it hit surrey with a bit more gusto http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25902371
splodger

Postby splodger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:21 am

really high winds and driving rain (again)

loads of trees down and large areas of flooding :(

not a day for playing in the woods
splodger

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 am

Maybe when the floodwaters start lapping up against the walls of the Marlow mansions, a few of the doubters might finally acknowledge climate change, caused by human stupidity and high carbon lifestyles. Mr Cameron agrees, much to the disgust of his backbenchers (with their mansions in the Thames valley) !
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:47 am

was interesting watching the news over the last few days, seeing the EA say the floods were not due to not dredging rivers, then yesterday when the posh houses along the Thames flooded even more, seeing the statement, we are sorry we did not dredge, to be done asap
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:20 pm

You'd have to be blind not to notice theres been really freak weather the last couple of months- not just in the UK. Even if you are blind, you'll wonder why your hat blew off and your socks are getting wet. :?

I really feel for anyone who's suffering at the moment, our friends are mortified at having lost their biggest oak- maybe 200 year old, blown over and apparently healthy.

At least though, it will add to the debate about climate change, and if a few doubters are convinced, maybe wider recognition will kick start the politicians into actually getting their act together and talking about how we get out of this self-made apocalypse.
oldclaypaws

Postby Woodsmith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Went to visit our wood 2 weeks ago, we have lost 5 biggest sweet chestnuts, and all the standing deadwood is down.We only bought the wood three weeks ago, gutted to say the least :cry: God knows what has happened since then, we are cut off from the wood by floodwater without a huge round trip. Anyone who denies climate change is like an ostrich with their head in the sand.
Woodsmith

Next

Return to Lounge Room