Small Woodland Owners' Group

the off topic thread

Here's a place for 'Off Topic' discussions and general chit chat between member. Please keep to the guidelines of the forum, and if it turns into a useful 'Woodie' type discussion, hop back and post it over in the appropriate section in the main forum.

the off topic thread

Postby splodger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:58 pm

hey - our first off topic thread in a nice new off topic forum - nice one Admin :D
splodger

Re: the off topic thread

Postby Andy M » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Since a Topic has a hazelnut in every bite I would expect there to be plenty more after last years bumper year for nuts.

How you tell if they are off - I don't know. Do they float or sink like eggs?
Andy M

Postby splodger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 pm

splodger

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Since when has a degree of off-threading been a hanging offence anyway? Light banter is part of conversation and normal discussion.

If I was talking to someone in the street and they suddenly said "Do you think it will rain?", I don't say "stick to the previous topic or I'll discipline you, I only engage in one strictly rigid topic of conversation at a time".

It seems rude to me to step in and interrupt flowing discussions between members because of perceived slight drift. Its called normal communication. I also notice certain parties recently drifting my thread in other directions themselves, despite previously cautioning me on the same thread for so doing
(we had better get back on topic then - just in case we all get moderated)
. ??

A case of slight double standards?
oldclaypaws

Postby splodger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 pm

splodger

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Quote from "Rules and etiquette"

We don't want to be too draconian
oldclaypaws

Postby Andy M » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:50 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Quote from "Rules and etiquette"

We don't want to be too draconian

Is that an oxymoron?
Andy M

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 pm

......any suggestions that we are being intolerant will result in you being silenced immediately.....
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:03 pm

I class Topic bars as 'junk food', a class of alleged 'foodstuffs' I have a distinct scepticism about. What's wrong with a nice tasty carrot? As a habitual despiser of sugary over-hyped glop, but one who is amazed by forces of nature, this hypnotic video represents the supreme symbolic act of mans folly being engulfed by unstoppable nature. Off topic but awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSjwAu3yrI
oldclaypaws

Postby Rich » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

The reason we like to keep things 'On topic' is that it makes it a lot easier for people to use. That includes registered users and importantly those who are just passing through or lurking without registering. Registered users who check the board daily will keep up with each thread, but if someone 'google's a subject and it comes up on our forum, then it just makes sense to have all the important, useful information in a concise and pertinant form. Wading through long and exhaustive threads is fine if everything in that thread is useful and relevent, but it becomes a real pain if you have to read page after page of unrelated stuf to get to the core of the subject.

Anyway I understand that people may also want to use it as more of a chat facility and so I've created a 'lounge' area for this.

viewforum.php?f=36

Please keep to the usual courtesies of the board, but if there's anything useful that should be in the main section come back over and post it under the appropriate section.
Many thanks
Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Return to Lounge Room