Small Woodland Owners' Group

issue with newsletter

Post here to invite members to visit your wood.

issue with newsletter

Postby splodger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:18 am

Judith wrote:There will be more info in the newsletter in a day or so.

on the subject of newsletter - i couldn't read the last one - whatever format it was written in - was not compatible with my pdf reader - most text was shown as signs / symbols etc - totally unreadable.

any chance of going back to the old format - so that those who have old pc systems can read it please?
splodger

Re: SUMMER MEETING SOMERSET

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am

splodger wrote:on the subject of newsletter - i couldn't read the last one - whatever format it was written in - was not compatible with my pdf reader - most text was shown as signs / symbols etc - totally unreadable.

Which PDF reader and version are you using?
SimonFisher

Postby splodger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:31 pm

SimonFisher wrote:Which PDF reader and version are you using?

i just tried again - to check (remind me) using the newskletter link on the swog website - it is actually that link (using firefox browser) that doesn't allow me to read it online easily - it shows a message to say that it might not display correctly (i missed that last time i tried)

so i mis-remembered / missed error warning at the top of the online pdf page. it's only unreadable if i want to read it online - which i would prefer as it happens

so for me to read the newsletters - i have to download them and read them in one of my pdf readers on the computer - i only checked with the one reader this evening (adobe) and it did actually seem to display text and pics ok - bit of a faff though for my liking - the desire to read it has gone by the time software is loaded etc - besides i don't like to download too much stuff if i can help it - from a security aspect
splodger

Postby Judith » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi Splodger,

I'm really sorry about the trouble you've had downloading the newsletter. I hope the link below will provide a lo-res version that your browser will cope with more easily.

http://swog.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... SwogLO.pdf

if not, email me, and I'll send it direct!

Best wishes,

Judith
[email protected]
Judith

Postby splodger » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:49 am

hi judith - thanks for the link - i'm afraid it makes no difference though - the main body of text is still unreadable - just a series of signs and symbols

guess i'll just have to download newsletters to my pc - if / when i feel inclined to read one :roll:
splodger

Postby Judith » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Splodger,

Oh dear. I have to say that you're the only one who has mentioned the problem - could it be your browser that's the culprit? If you let me know which version of adobe reader you have, I'll make a bespoke pdf for you! 8-)
Judith
Judith

Re: problem with newsletter PDFs

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 am

Splodger

I do rather suspect that it's something specific to your PC that's the problem here. The June newsletter is using the later 1.7 revision of the PDF specification compared to the 1.5 revision of both the April and May newsletters. I'm not aware that you should be having a problem with either of these assuming you are using a current version of your preferred web browser or PDF reader.

Many modern web browsers have PDF viewers built in and will render/display the PDF on their own rather than requiring the use of a separate PDF viewer such as Adobe Reader. If you indicate which you use (name and version of browser or reader), I'll check to see if there any compatibility issues.

Good practice would be to ensure that your browser and PDF reader are kept updated to the latest version. Security vulnerabilities (ways in which your PC could be attacked) are often the reason for such updates. Using old versions of such software on your computer is potentially increasing your exposure to such attacks.

You also say that you "don't like to download too much stuff - from a security aspect". The exposure to potential damage occurs at the point the PDF is opened and read by your browser or viewer, not at the point the PDF is downloaded. Saving the PDF to your computer doesn't change the level of threat it might contain. That threat can only become real when you open the PDF - and you're doing that anyway when you read it via your browser. The point here is you that shouldn't view PDFs from an untrusted source or that you have reason to suspect - and that's regardless of whether you're using a browser or a separate reader to look at them.

Many computer users don't need a separate PDF reader these days as their web browser can be used to display PDFs online and any that they might save to their own computer. One less piece of software on the computer is one less that has to be updated and one less avenue for vulnerabilitiues.

Simon
SimonFisher

Postby splodger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 am

thanks judith and simon for your input and assistance

my web browser is up to date - but i did a check - and a few plug-ins were in need of updating - having installed the latest plug-ins - i can now read the newsletter - yippee

cheers

i guess i ought to split this thread (will do it later) as i am guilty of taking it way off topic :o
splodger

Return to SWOG Meetings