Small Woodland Owners' Group

Which chipper?

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:40 am

I been felling a lot of spruce trees over the last three years and burning the branches and think of a better use for them.

So I've come to the decision that I will chip them to put on the rides.

Which chipper would you recommend, something under £1ooo?

Darren

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:56 pm

I hired the folowing chipper to do some of what you are suggesting.

Nice write up by the supplier but nearly shook my fingers and palm into white hands as you have to push in the wood. It will only take straight wood up to 3 inches in reality. The shredder on the top ripes the brash from your hands very violently and only mashes it.

You need at least, a chipper that has rollers to pull the wood in. Hiring this one was an experience but after 2 short days, I had enough hand ache.

Good quality, needs to be on the level as it has a level switch that stops it starting but easy to start on the level. No big red stop button for emergencys. Probably best for a large garden or a hire tool.

Camon by Tracmaster C150 chipper shredder. A professional quality chipper shredder powered by a 13hp Honda engine. The machine has the capacity to chip 3.5 inch branches and shred up to 1/2 inch in the large hopper. The machine is very mobile on two large wheels with wheelbarrow handles to transport the machine to where needed. It is fitted with a shredding screen which is easy to open to remove blockages by simply pulling a lever. Must be seen to see the quality and build of this machine. Real Value for money. £2400 inc VAT ish

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:45 pm

thanks B. I got a second hand camon c150 o ff of ebay for £670. Looking forward to chipping all those spruce branches.

Darren

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance