Small Woodland Owners' Group

Petrol LOg Splitters

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Petrol LOg Splitters

Postby management1011 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:09 pm

Does anyone have experience of petrol powered log splitters?
There are a number on the market but I can find no comparison information.
Any input would be helpful, thank you.
management1011

Re: Petrol LOg Splitters

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:17 am

I'd guess the majority on here tend to deal with small quantities of logs and use manual splitting. Its a subject that also interests me as I'll have quite large volumes to cope with in the coming years and I'm not sure my back with cope with constant axing.

The forum where they're experts on mechanical kit is Arbtalk- lots of log boys there, might be worth checking it out. I read a thread on logsplitters a day or two ago on Arbtalk FB.

I hope there is somebody here can chip in their thoughts on them as they are potentially very useful. There's a company seems to auction one (22 ton from memory) each week on ebay, they look OK and tend to go for around the £700 mark. The electric ones are far less powerful, slower and wouldn't interest me.

Another one to consider is hydraulic ones operated by PTO's from tractors. Yes, it needs a tractor with hydraulic spool valves obviously, but I think a few members here have them. Tractors are great not just for the ability to pull logs, but the various useful forestry attachments you can get; saws, splitters, log arches, front loaders, winches. If you have a lot of logs or timber to cope with and the possibility of housing one, they are well worth considering. Great toys. I'm very likely to get a tractor shortly so I'm skipping petrol log splitters and holding back for the hydraulic / tractor option.
oldclaypaws

Postby management1011 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:45 am

Thanks for that information, most helpful.
My workload in logs is also increasing. I am forecasting 25 or more trailer loads before the end of the season and currently use a Logmatic log splitter which is great for the small to medium logs but hard work on the larger stuff, some going up to 50-60cm in diameter.
Also Logmatic can exacerbate the early arthritis symptoms on a busy day.
So I will continue my search.
A warning to others looking for petrol log splitters.
The Woodmanstore website invites you to go to their Kent showroom near Faversham to view the products. There isn't a showroom there, as I found out after an almost 60 mile drive in the rain yesterday. When challenged by phone "Oh, is that still on the website? It was closed a long time ago!"
Lesson learned - call first in future!
management1011

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Your other option is a generator to run an electric log splitter, the electric versions use a small electric motor to power the hydraulic pump so a smallish generator should power it and any other electric devices you need.
I bought a second hand 3kva generator with a Honda engine for £140 on eBay, it powers my 12" tablesaw which is really quick for cutting small tree limbs up. It also powers my cement mixer and SDS drill while I'm onsite. The generator starts first pull and is really frugal on fuel.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:09 am

homemade like this ?

https://youtu.be/0wprO2HlbDQ
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Hello Change track a bit but can anyone recommend an electric log splitter to run off a 2 kw generator when in the wood and mains at home please
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance