Small Woodland Owners' Group

EGO battery tools

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

EGO battery tools

Postby calvertwood » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Does anyone know anything about a firm called EGO, which is selling tools with a 56V Li-Ion battery, available in size from 2Ah to 6Ah? They have just appeared in my local hardware shop. The manager says they're flying out of the door, they're American-made (maybe he meant American-designed), they're a lot cheaper than Stihl equipment, and they come with a five-year guarantee (three on the battery), compared to Stihl's one-year one. The website is http://egopowerplus.co.uk.

At a first glance I didn't think the chainsaw looked or felt very well made, but who knows? On the other hand, a battery like that and a guarantee like that look pretty persuasive. I'd love to know more.
calvertwood

Re: EGO battery tools

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:57 pm

I found two customer reviews online.

One said. "I had a dead tree fall in my yard, so I wanted to try out my new cordless ego chain saw. It overheats within 10 minutes. I will never buy an ego product again!
How long have you owned it: A month or less. Bottom Line; No, I would not recommend this to a friend.

Of course that could have been written by a competitor, so you have to take reviews with a pinch of salt. The claimed performance of 'same performance as most petrol chainsaws' is contradicted by 'does 100 4" cuts on a single charge' (That's pretty limited). -Of course a petrol saw will go all day long.

The price at over £400 to include a battery and charger isn't cheap, you'd get a very good Stihl for that.

Which magazine sum up battery chainsaws pretty well; Pros: lighter, easier to maintain and quieter than petrol chainsaws, no need to be plugged into a power source. Cordless chainsaws can't match the cutting power of corded electric or petrol chainsaws. Cons: not really up to chopping logs and very expensive

While impressed with the performance of the growing stable of Makita 18V cordless tools I own, can't see me hanging up my Stihls any time soon, and it does look a bit like a Dyson vacuum cleaner, eg very gawdy plastic.
oldclaypaws

Postby calvertwood » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:30 am

Hmm, yes, it's not as much cheaper than the Stihl as I had thought. I was comparing it with the MSA 200 with a 36v 6Ah battery and a standard charger, which comes in at £511 MRSP in total.

But there's some interesting stuff coming. I see that Greenworks, who currently 'only' offer a 40v saw in Europe, are selling an 80v one in the States for $299 (incl charger and 2Ah battery) through Costco. And it's got an 18" bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85Ukrn9RWc. I don't suppose the quality is anything like as good as Stihl, but this kind of product is going to put some interesting pressure on the premium brands.
calvertwood

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Why do people have Harleys. Still nothing as nice as a Husky revving away Orange fan!!
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance