Small Woodland Owners' Group

Best kind of hand saw for a sloping cut?

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Best kind of hand saw for a sloping cut?

Postby calvertwood » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:33 pm

I prefer to fell trees by hand, and my usual saw (a Silky Zubat) has been brilliant for coppice-size stems up to about 25cm. Now I need to take out some bigger standards, and have splashed out on a Silky Katanaboy. It's amazingly effective on horizontal cuts but slow, hard work on the sloping part of a gob cut. I imagine that cutting down-grain is a problem with crosscut saws in general. Would a ripsaw be better, and if so does anyone have a recommendation?
calvertwood

Re: Best kind of hand saw for a sloping cut?

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:47 pm

If you don't want to go down the chainsaw route I would have thought that a decent greenwood blade in a bow saw would be your best option.
Or what about getting a length of bandsaw blade similar to that used on a band mill and sticking a pair of handles on it, it would need two of you working in tandem though.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:32 am

Daniel

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:50 am

How about using a felling axe?
SimonFisher

Postby calvertwood » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Lots of interesting ideas - thanks, all. Bow saw is tempting, but the depth of cut is restricted by the frame. Also I can never get the cut to go where I want. I'll try again, though, and if that's no use I'll try an axe. And if all else fails, I may have to reconsider my dislike of chain saws...
calvertwood

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance