Small Woodland Owners' Group

Extraction from ride side to yard

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Extraction from ride side to yard

Postby Treeation » Wed May 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi I am looking for a few ideas on the topic title.

Basically, I am looking to make my extraction side of things as efficient as problem. Im taking a punt this winter and am going to try and get some derelict coppice coupes back into management in exchange for the material harvested.I don't have a tractor or a forwarder and dont think this is realistic at the moment. Im planning on getting some derelict coppice coupes vary from 5 -15miles from my yard. Ultimately, I want to get wood and product out in the most cost effective way. I currently have a standard 4 x 4 pick up, but used alone, it would not be a viable extraction method.

My plan would be todo alot of processing on site converting firewood striaght into vented dumpy bags, then ideally lift them straight onto a 10ft or 12ft ifor williams. At the other end I have use of a yard tractor to unload bags straight into a dutch barn ready for seasoning. The trailer set up could then be used for deliveries once wood is seasoned. What I need is either a trailer grab mounted on the nose of the trailer with a hydraulic power pack (pros - really efficient/ cons expensive + heavy weight for the nose of the trailer) or looking for a 12v swing crane (not as efficient/much cheaper and lighter)

any thoughts or ideas??
Treeation

Re: Extraction from ride side to yard

Postby Wendelspanswick » Wed May 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Funnily enough I am pondering the same problem and my solution is to have a skip lorry type of crane on the trailer. A pair of pivoted arms fixed to the back of the trailer operated by hydraulic rams powered by a 12v hydraulic pump from a lorry tail lift.
This would pick up one of two bags from the trailer bed and deposit it just behind the trailer.
It could also be used to load the dumpy bags onto the trailer if required.
I used to be a welder fabricator by trade so it will cost me just in materials and time and I already have a suitable hydraulic pump.
When I get some time I will sketch out the design in CAD and post on here.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Treeation » Thu May 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks. Thats a good idea and sounds like axworthy solution. Pics would be great! Could ut be adapted in anyway to load cordwood? Or would it sole use be bulk bags? Im quite keen to get something that could pick up cord wood too.
Treeation

Postby The Barrowers » Thu May 07, 2015 7:53 pm

5-15 miles seems a long distance to transport considering log sales price?
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 pm

The Barrowers wrote:5-15 miles seems a long distance to transport considering log sales price?

A lot of the suppliers round us seem to have gone over to vented or reused perforated dumpy bags and the going rate is around the £90 a bag for one off customers including local kerbside delivery.
3 bags per trip to the coppice location would give a gross price of £270.
Wendelspanswick

Postby ballibeg » Sun May 10, 2015 6:26 am

Works for me. I do however keep my delivery distances close.
ballibeg

Postby Toby Allen » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Tipping trailer ?

Cheaper than a crane trailer and there's more on the market.

Process straight into it, tip out into your barn, shove into a heap with a bucket on the yard tractor. Fill with the bucket and tip out on the customers drive.

Filling sacks by hand is annoying.
Toby Allen

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance