Small Woodland Owners' Group

Clearing bramble

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Clearing bramble

Postby michaelb8111 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:28 pm

I bought an old slasher blade at last years Woodfair, put a new handle on it and set to doing a bit of ground clearing. As usual the bramble fought back with a vengence and I retreated to the safety of my workshop. It was while I was sharpening the slasher I had an Eureka moment. I cut a notch in the blade about a half inch deep, an inch from the top end, and ground the notch into a hook shape. I then sharpened the edge along with the rest of the blade. The slasher now cuts through the undergrowth, with the notch dealing with the bramble, effortlessly. It makes ground clearing almost a pleasure!
michaelb8111

Re: Clearing bramble

Postby ballibeg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:21 am

Great tip!
ballibeg

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:50 am

Could you post a photo showing the modification?
SimonFisher

Postby Meadowcopse » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:10 am

An Austrian scythe with a shorter ditching blade works well too, in combination with a steel tined landscape rake and 4 prong pitch-fork
Meadowcopse

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:33 pm

So does a Billy Goat Outback. Just need to ensure you want where ever you point it obliterated. Hired one last year to do ride sides and a bit in the wood. Does what it says on the tin. Hard work with blisters but I did go at it for a whole day non stop. Works well on the flat, you fight a bit on slopes left and right. Has reverse and 3 or 4 forward gears. Does not use much petrol at all, 4 stroke. If it can ride over it ie saplings, bramble, brush, gorse, young rhodo etc it will mush it. It will also deal with meadows If I recall it was £45 a day or £75 a week. Waiting for dry weather to clear a overwhelming area of Bramble Need to do it before nesting but want dry weather as well.
Also nearly Lady Day which is 25th March so traditionally the last day of tree cutting?
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Also nearly Lady Day which is 25th March so traditionally the last day of tree cutting?

Is it? Lady day is one of the quarter days on which rent would be due and when tenancies would change hands. I've not previously heard of it as the last day for tree cutting. Surely that's more related to whether the sap is rising and Spring on the way.
SimonFisher

Postby michaelb8111 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:09 pm

[attachment=0]P1080325.JPG[/attachment

Picture of my slasher blade with the notch cut into the end. I'm pleased with the modification as it's made ground clearing a lot easier.
Attachments
P1080325.JPG
michaelb8111

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Lady Day: I put a question mark as I have only seen it referred to the last day of cutting (this was a number of years ago in a national paper, you can believe everything in the rags) and cant find out anymore. May it have been the time seasonal workers moved on? Pleased to know more
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:27 pm

michaelb8111 wrote:[attachment=0]P1080325.JPG[/attachment

Picture of my slasher blade with the notch cut into the end. I'm pleased with the modification as it's made ground clearing a lot easier.

I can see how that would really make a difference with your slasher. Mine has more of an elbow and seems to work okay as is, so not sure I'd really need the extra mod. Am about to start with a grubber as my opening choice of weapon in this years newly exposed coppiced areas, I'll never get them all out, but thought I would hit them before they get out of control and give everything else a bit more of a chance!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance