Small Woodland Owners' Group

Stuck Chainsaw

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Stuck Chainsaw

Postby boxerman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Hmm.... it had never crossed my mind either...... but I guess you could be right - having said that, wind up merchants don't usually run this long 'cos boredom sets in if no-one gets seriously wound up... :mrgreen:
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby greyman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Boxer man, er this might just be me but why is it 11pm on 15th Dec 2014 in my post but your last post was from 16th! :shock:
greyman

Postby greyman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 pm

It's happened to me now! Must be those mushrooms I had for tea. Either that or Sam and Wotsit and their extension leads are over loading the national grid
greyman

Postby Patandsam » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:30 am

There are some very rude people on this forum. I doubt you use words like banal and incompetent when you are not hidden behind a keyboard on a computer and talking face to face. We are probably old enough to be your parents so show some respect for your elders. If you cannot be polite then kindly keep your thoughts to yourself.
We dont have any wedges but we do have a couple of hand axes lying around somewhere so we will try those instead and try to hammer them in to open up the cut and free the saw. Thanks for that, good idea. I see we are not the only ones to have had this happen, perhaps we are the only ones big enough to admit we are not perfect and ask for advice.

Patricia and Samantha -The 'Chaps'
Patandsam

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:42 am

**** NOTE FROM MODERATOR ****
This post has been moderated. Some of the poster's content has been removed.
**** END NOTE ****

Patandsam wrote:, perhaps we are the only ones big enough to admit we are not perfect and ask for advice.

oi oi, don't try taking my crown from me, everyone know's I aint perfect with my love for chinese imports, [CONTENT HERE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:50 am

Patandsam wrote:There are some very rude people on this forum. I doubt you use words like banal and incompetent when you are not hidden behind a keyboard on a computer and talking face to face. We are probably old enough to be your parents so show some respect for your elders. If you cannot be polite then kindly keep your thoughts to yourself.
We dont have any wedges but we do have a couple of hand axes lying around somewhere so we will try those instead and try to hammer them in to open up the cut and free the saw. Thanks for that, good idea. I see we are not the only ones to have had this happen, perhaps we are the only ones big enough to admit we are not perfect and ask for advice.

Incompetent - not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully. I think that very much describes you in this situation.

The term elder doesn't just mean older, in many cultures it means wiser too - someone having wisdom accumulated through many years experience. You may be older than some here but your posts show a lack of knowledge and for whatever reason a disinclination on your part to act on the good advice that's been offered. One might suggest you're not going the right way to earn our respect. You certainly don't have a right to 'respect' just because of your age, whatever it might be.

Hand axes used as wedges - they're metal so you run the same risks as using metal wedges. Also, axes aren't usually designed for being struck on the poll (the rearmost part of the head) - it could split or break at the eye as a result. Axes and mauls that are meant to be used in that way have a much bigger poll.

I'll admit I've had tree fells not go as I intended. The difference is that I've had the training to know how to handle the situation and the equipment to be able to sort it out there and then. You also learn that having started a fell, you don't just leave it with a cut half way through. The tree's stabilty has been seriously compromised by what you've done so far and you've created a hazard. It could move or fall with little warning. I urge you to seek professional help (get someone in) to bring the tree down safely and quickly.
SimonFisher

Postby boxerman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:50 am

11pm on 15th Dec 2014 in my post but your last post was from 16th

probably 'cos I'd been too lazy too change the time zone in my profile and was still on summer time...
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Postby vushtrri » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:25 am

Anyway...slightly off topic I know but I was wondering if perhaps you could give me some advice with you being the experts in catering and hospitality etc. I've just sat down to have my breakfast this morning inbetween the split shifts I work and have found that the missus has run out of vegetable oil to do me eggs and bacon in.... Would it be ok to use the bottle of chainsaw oil I have knocking around on me shed...it clean and unused, after all oils oil isn't it?
vushtrri

Postby Patandsam » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:56 am

Success. After finishing cooking 60 breakfasts using the right oil, we found a handaxe and drove it into the offending tree. The saw came out quite easily. Now, any suggestions how to remove a stuck handaxe from a tree?
Patandsam

Postby Stevieb0y » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:02 am

Hi All

Assuming Pat and Sam are genuine and have got themselves into this mess can we please try to help them?
The best advice given here is to get a tree surgeon in to fell the tree for you and of course to go on a course on using a chainsaw. Local agricultural colleges usually run these. I'd advise against using the blocks as we can't see the location of the tree of even how far the saw is into the tree.

There are people of all kinds of experience using this forum and I'm sure we've all made mistakes that we look back on and think how silly it was.

I'm new to owning my wood and learning about it all the time so use this forum to learn and if I need to, to ask for advice. Let's not put people off asking for help because they've read some replies to such requests and worry about how some may respond.

Good luck Pat and Sam in sorting your problem and let us know how it goes. But please think safety first.
Stevieb0y

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance