Small Woodland Owners' Group

Stuck Chainsaw

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Stuck Chainsaw

Postby Lincswood » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:24 pm

I didn't have the free time or the finances to do any chainsaw courses, but I did ask my local tree surgeon if he would be prepared to spend a couple of hours (at his usual rate) in the woods with me, going through some of the basics of felling, dealing with hung-up trees, etc. It was definitely money well spent. I would definitely consider a group course, if we were able to organise one at a central location...?
Lincswood

Postby smojo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 am

As an aside if you are retired it may well be possible to get free or subsidised chainsaw training as I know when I did mine I trained alongside a retired chap who was taking advantage of the free training

I'd like to know if anyone has any info on free courses for the retired. I haven't seen anything mentioned yet while looking for courses.

I assume they charge what the market will stand.

Yes now we're getting to the crux of it. As it is mandatory for employers to give employees training and certification if required to use chainsaws, then hey ho (rubbing hands together) a guaranteed captive customer base and a licence to charge what you want.
smojo

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:38 am

smojo wrote:

Yes now we're getting to the crux of it. As it is mandatory for employers to give employees training and certification if required to use chainsaws, then hey ho (rubbing hands together) a guaranteed captive customer base and a licence to charge what you want.

Except if you're charging more than your competitors you risk not getting any business - that's the market economy.
SimonFisher

Postby Campievanner » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Funnily enough at work I am busy arranging the paperwork for a 2 day Chainsaw & Crosscutting course that we are holding on site in January.
4 members of staff and it is £250 per person + Lantra fees. Which seems reasonable cost.
Campievanner

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:52 pm

smojo wrote:
As an aside if you are retired it may well be possible to get free or subsidised chainsaw training as I know when I did mine I trained alongside a retired chap who was taking advantage of the free training

I'd like to know if anyone has any info on free courses for the retired. I haven't seen anything mentioned yet while looking for courses.

Not currently available but might be worth getting in contact:
http://www.treesforcities.org/about-us/ ... -training/
Wendelspanswick

Postby Wendelspanswick » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:00 pm

smojo wrote:

Where are you Smojo, I have found subsidised courses in Cumbria and Ireland.
If you google subsidised chainsaw training on Google but under search tools select 'results from last year' it brings up various schemes across the country.
Wendelspanswick

Postby smojo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 am

Funnily enough at work I am busy arranging the paperwork for a 2 day Chainsaw & Crosscutting course that we are holding on site in January.
4 members of staff and it is £250 per person + Lantra fees. Which seems reasonable cost.

I'd like to know more about that when you have arranged it, particularly as we are going to be neighbours.

Where are you Smojo, I have found subsidised courses in Cumbria and Ireland.

I'm in West Yorkshire. Thanks for the info I'll check it out.
smojo

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance