Small Woodland Owners' Group

Stuck Chainsaw

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Stuck Chainsaw

Postby Patandsam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Our saw has spent a fortnight outside stuck in a tree. It moved when we where cutting it and squeezed the saw so it wont come out. Its firmly stuck. Its quite a big pine, about a foot wide and the saw is in the middle. Any suggestions please how we get it out, we have tried pushing the tree and pulling the saw but nothing budges it. We dont have another saw.
Patandsam

Re: Stuck Chainsaw

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:44 pm

:lol: :lol: a good reason to have a chinese imported chainsaw as back up, when I did this with my husky, it was the widow maker to the rescue

options

1, cover the trunk in wood lice and wait for them to chew through

2, winch the cut open, but you probably dont have a winch

3, easiest way, un bolt the bar and chain, remove chainsaw body, buy a new bar and chain £30 ish

4, place hazard tape around said tree and never return, it's been 2 weeks, you cant be that bothered :D

5, call in a professional
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:40 pm

A more sensible approach would be to get a hardwood or plastic wedge and hammer it into the cut to prise it open allowing you to remove the saw.
DON'T use a steel wedge or an axe blade unless you can guarantee you won't hit the chain.
Wendelspanswick

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Patandsam wrote:Our saw has spent a fortnight outside stuck in a tree. It moved when we where cutting it and squeezed the saw so it wont come out. Its firmly stuck. Its quite a big pine, about a foot wide and the saw is in the middle. Any suggestions please how we get it out, we have tried pushing the tree and pulling the saw but nothing budges it. We dont have another saw.

This really is a good demonstration of why you shouldn't be tackling this sort of thing without proper training. You failed to correctly assess the tree and have now caused a hazard which you've left in place for two weeks! Have you cordoned off the area and erected signs?

Can't you nip down to Tesco and get another saw - ah you don't have enough Clubcard points :lol:

You could perhaps drive some felling wedges into the partial cut enough to free the saw, or as has already been suggested call in a professional and admit you're way out of your depth...
SimonFisher

Postby vushtrri » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:36 pm

The same happened to a work colleague who decided it would be a good idea to down a silver birch in his garden. Unfortunately when he rang me with a ..."what can I do...can you help?" I only had some long lengths of rope. So, assuming you do have some rope..but no winch....feed the rope through as far as you can up the tree using string and weight if you have any. Secure it around trunk. Make about five nonslip loops along length. Take the free end around a suitable anchor tree and back to the first loop from tree feeding it through to make a pulley arrangement whilst pulling back towards anchor tree. Back around anchor tree then through second loop pulling as tight as possible, back around anchor tree and then through second loop and repeat until you've winched the tree back enough to open the cut......it does work...........then remember not to do it again. For what it's worth I always chuck a rope half way up a tree before cutting and secure in the opposite direction of cutting just incase Sod's law happens..always been lucky so far.
vushtrri

Postby greyman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Can we get things straight here? Is this the electric chainsaw you were telling us you were going to get or did you actually purchase a petrol saw? Secondly, did you get yourself some training on how to use it i.e. did you do a felling course? When you've worked that out you might want to think about taking the bar and chain off so that you can at least remove the saw body.

I do wonder if we are being regularly wound up here as I have to ask if these chaps are for real? Anyone e er met them?
greyman

Postby vushtrri » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:51 pm

greyman wrote:Can we get things straight here? Is this the electric chainsaw you were telling us you were going to get or did you actually purchase a petrol saw? Secondly, did you get yourself some training on how to use it i.e. did you do a felling course? When you've worked that out you might want to think about taking the bar and chain off so that you can at least remove the saw body.

I do wonder if we are being regularly wound up here as I have to ask if these chaps are for real? Anyone e er met them?[/quot

Alright, having just read this post I have to cough to falling for it as surely the below post must be a wind up.

Patandsam wrote:So if its an electric saw you just need to put one sort of oil in the oil tank for the chain and not worry about engine oil ? Can you use ordinary fresh vegetable oil like corn or sunflower, we buy it in bulk anyway. Its a 14 Inch Makita. I'm not sure if you need to go on a course if it is an electric saw, we would probably be laughed at because its not a 'proper' petrol chainsaw and they may not have power where the course is held. We also bought a job lot of extension leads for £20 at the same auction so should be able to stretch to about 200 metres. It is a lot quieter than a petrol one and seemed a bargain at £14.
vushtrri

Postby greyman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:07 pm

My point perzacerly. They've been popping up every so often with the most banal points. I've sat on the side and seen the posts and all the advice that's been given and wondered if this is a wonderful windup.
greyman

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Wind up, what you mean the chainsaw's a wind up one ;-)

I'd very much like to believe that Pat and Sam aren't for real and that they've been having a good old laugh at our expense, that we'll look back fondly on the whole chainsaws-in-Tesco thing, the 200-metre job lot of extension cables and such like. If anyone's wondering what this is all about, follow this link to see some of Pat and Sam's previous postings and the consternation caused: -

http://www.swog.org.uk/forum/search.php?author_id=6555&sr=posts

Sadly, I fear they are very much for real. Perhaps this latest incident will cause them to consider that there was merit in our earlier suggestions to take things a bit more seriously and professionally.
SimonFisher

Postby greyman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:17 pm

:roll: you may well be right. I'd rather they were a windup though. The thought that there might be,well I can't actually type what I would like to call them, such incompetence out there fills me with a deep depression. Never mind crimbo round the corner. :D
greyman

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance