Small Woodland Owners' Group

sale offer on 4.0Ah batteries for Makita 18V cordless tools

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

sale offer on 4.0Ah batteries for Makita 18V cordless tools

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Axminster are selling a 4.0Ah battery pack for the Makita 18V cordless tool range which might be of particular interest to those that have older tools from the range that do not take the newer genuine Makita 18V 4.0Ah and 5.0Ah batteries. On offer at £49.96 each and with a further discount for purchases of more than one.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/18v-li-ion-4-0ah-battery-pack-for-makita-cordless
SimonFisher

Re: sale offer on 4.0Ah batteries for Makita 18V cordless to

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:46 pm

That is a very good deal. Wish I'd known 20 minutes ago. I was in Axminster ! Guess I'll be going back.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Just had a further look, it appears these aren't genuine Makita batteries, but a 'generic' own- label Axminster battery that fits Makita's. To quote from the battery spec;

This item is not an original product of the power tool manufacturer
Not manufactured, supported or recommended by the power tool manufacturer
The use of these batteries in Makita cordless products will void the Makita warranty

- Hardly a ringing endorsement !

Axminster also sell the genuine Makita batteries for £84.94.

There are a number of Makita 4.0 Ah battery 'clones' on fleabay from £32.50 (china) or UK based for £34.99. On the basis of you get what you pay for, I'd assume the genuine Makita batteries are superior quality.
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:23 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Just had a further look, it appears these aren't genuine Makita batteries...

Apologies if my original post didn't make that clear. The genuine Makita 4.0AH and 5.0Ah batteries aren't compatible with many of the original Makita 18V tools due to a change in the technical specification of the batteries. If you have the older tools and would like to be able to use a 4.0Ah battery pack, these Axminster ones are designed to do that.

This item is not an original product of the power tool manufacturer
Not manufactured, supported or recommended by the power tool manufacturer
The use of these batteries in Makita cordless products will void the Makita warranty

I'm not sure that last point is correct. I believe Makita would have to show that the failure of a tool had been caused by the non-Makita battery to reject a warranty claim. They can't simply say that a warranty (an agreement, legally binding) is terminated by using a competitor's alternative product. I think this is covered by the Competition Act 1988.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 pm

From the terms and conditions of Makita's 3 year warranty;

The guarantee does not apply where Non-genuine or recommended parts or accessories are fitted to the tool(s).

Having studied Law of Contract at Uni, I'd say that's a pretty watertight get-out by Makita if they don't like you using somebody else's cheap batteries, whether the batteries were related to the cause of any defect or not. They don't need to prove the non-standard batteries caused the fault, if its in the terms and you buy the tool, you are bound by those terms. They'd argue if you don't like the terms of the warranty, its your decision whether you want to buy the tool under those terms or not and you can always buy another product from someone else if you don't like it. I'd say this is a fairly standard clause most manufacturers put in their terms, to try and ensure they get the max money out of you; don't buy our quite expensive extra bits and you'll regret it if it goes wrong, 'cos we want all your dosh. Of course if an item did go wrong and you'd been using non standard batteries, you could just borrow a genuine battery from a pal, put it on when you take the defective tool back, and they'd be none the wiser and have to repair it. ;)
oldclaypaws

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance