Small Woodland Owners' Group

chinese imported chainsaws

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: chinese imported chainsaws

Postby Binz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:58 am

I use Lucozade sport bottles for oil; the squirty top means you get precise control on how much goes in so no overfilling plus you don't get any drips.
Binz

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:56 am

Lucozade bottles sounds quite intelligent, provided they are robust enough to stand a bit of knocking about in the vehicle-not a nice thing to spill in the Dogandlogmobile (Audi Estate). I'd have thought petrol might dissolve them?

Has anyone else noticed if they have a Stihl dual fuel can, the carrystrap suspension lugs to the side of the caps are quite lethal. Several times when twisting the top off, I've caught the base of my thumb on them, taking off the skin and leaving a raw hole. Ouch. Currently sporting another wound from them, so I sawed them off with my Bahco- thats one less injury I'm going to suffer from now on. 8-)
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:07 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Has anyone else noticed if they have a Stihl dual fuel can, the carrystrap suspension lugs to the side of the caps are quite lethal. Several times when twisting the top off, I've caught the base of my thumb on them, taking off the skin and leaving a raw hole.

I wondered what the heck you were talking out as I've not once had such a problems. Now I've checked I see that I've combined an Oregon fuel and oil can with the Stihl no-spill fillers. Works well, no modification required, and no injuries!
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm

As pictured, plus OCP special effects. Wound is three days old. Square edged plastic can be surprisingly sharp when it catches twisting flesh. A poor piece of design, whoever did it on a c.a.d screen in the design studio never tried opening one several times.

stihl combi can.jpg

stihl combi wound.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:30 pm

so, those of you that have this type of container, perhaps you can enlighten me on what the middle bits of plastic were for???
can figure out one was maybe for holding a nozzle? but the other side ??????

Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Looks like it holds 3 sharpening files.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:24 pm

One side is indeed for files (which I have actually used!), the other according to Stihl's website is for 'tools', although it doesn't specify which tools, how you'd fit them on the strangely ribbed plastic, or links to supplies of said mystery tools. I've concluded its really useful for rolls of bandages, so when you take the side of your thumb off with the wretchedly designed carrying lugs, you can conveniently pick off the side of the can the required medical supplies to repair the damage the same said can has just caused. Simples. Another possibility is to keep a large stick inserted in the gap, so that when the can wounds you, you can at least get some satisfaction beating the crap out of it; "Right, that's the last time you draw my blood, I've warned you before, now I'm going to give you a damned good thrashing !" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc
oldclaypaws

Postby Landpikey » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:01 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:
Has anyone else noticed if they have a Stihl dual fuel can, the carrystrap suspension lugs to the side of the caps are quite lethal. Several times when twisting the top off, I've caught the base of my thumb on them, taking off the skin and leaving a raw hole. Ouch. Currently sporting another wound from them, so I sawed them off with my Bahco- thats one less injury I'm going to suffer from now on. 8-)

You don't have much luck with thumbs do you OCP???? Sawing them off with your Bahco is a bit drastic though? ;) ;) ;)
Landpikey

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:38 pm

when you think about it, paws was a good forum name for ocp, like a dog or cat, no opposable thumbs, we keep seeing post's where ocp has tried to hack his bits off, and failed, billhooks and petrol cans, I would suggest he tries an imported chainsaw next :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Just read this thread and realised I need an Eco spout for my scepter combi can now. Getting the gear for looking after woodland never seems to end!
Daniel

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance