Small Woodland Owners' Group

chinese imported chainsaws

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

chinese imported chainsaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:10 am

I thought that title would make you click on it,
my widow maker hybrid is now 19 months old, as I said way back when, that I would run it side by side with the husky to see which did better, well the husky is still in the garage waiting for repair, and the import is still going strong, we had a silver birch that had been blown over earlier in the year, but it was snagged in another tree, didn't want to leave it like that, just in case it fell on anyone :o

so here's a short video on how I got it down, it may not be the correct way, but it worked, I'm still in one piece, and the import did well, even cut 13 nice size plates from the lower trunk, as a friend whose getting married wanted them for center pieces on the tables

excuse the two bits of swearing, it's the east london in me :D
if you don't like swearing, simply don't click on the link

http://youtu.be/Tzng-WwQjTc
Dexter's Shed

Re: chinese imported chainsaws

Postby smojo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:11 am

How much are those winches to buy approx.?
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:35 am

I found this lot fairly good value, an 800kg wire rope winch will cost £140 or 3ton £280. On top of that though you'll probably want appropriate snatch blocks, slings and maybe polyester rope. There are plenty of sellers of ex military Tirfor's on fleabay, for heavy kit.

http://www.safetyliftingear.com/categories/winching---4x4-off-road/rope-winches

If anyone can recommend an affordable 3 ton+ winch system, please advise, I've some real whoppers to tug at some point.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:01 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I found this lot fairly good value, an 800kg wire rope winch will cost £140 or 3ton £280. On top of that though you'll probably want appropriate snatch blocks, slings and maybe polyester rope. There are plenty of sellers of ex military Tirfor's on fleabay, for heavy kit.

http://www.safetyliftingear.com/categories/winching---4x4-off-road/rope-winches

If anyone can recommend an affordable 3 ton+ winch system, please advise, I've some real whoppers to tug at some point.

Its worth noting that the rating of a Tirfor winch is its SWL (Safe Working Limit) and a Tifor is designed for
lifting as well as pulling.
So although a 1.6 ton Tirfor can safely lift 1.6 tons off the ground it will pull a much heavier load.
Tirfors are fitted with a weak link but they fail 'safe', the weak link stops the handle applying any more pressure.
I bought a 1.6 ton Tirfor with 20m of wire rope plus 2 15m wire strops for £60 from a local farm auction.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:28 pm

smojo wrote:How much are those winches to buy approx.?

I seem to remember paying around £140 for it via e bay, it's a big heavy lump of kit, and thought when I bought it that it was a bit over the top for me, and didn't use it really in the first year, but it's been a god send these last few months, the tractor-trailer makes moving it around easier, I would not try carrying it from one side of woods to the other
Dexter's Shed

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:26 pm

just to follow on with this post, I eventually got a new husky 14" bar as the old one got slightly bent on cutting a tree :o it's the 2nd new bar in this machine, and like the first one, it doesn't fit :x :x
so to sum up my findings, the import to date has and is, BOMB PROOF, and will, if it ever fails, get instantly replaced with the same.
the husky bar will get filed to fit, cant be bothered to return it, and when it gives up the ghost, will not get replaced with the same

as a side not, a friend who's moving house was clearing out his garage and gave me a combined petrol-oil container, although I already have one,this one came with a petrol shut off nozzle, I love it, no more slowly pouring in, the whole container is held upside down, when it's full, the nozzle shuts off :P
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:... a friend ... gave me a combined petrol-oil container ... this one came with a petrol shut off nozzle, I love it, no more slowly pouring in, the whole container is held upside down, when it's full, the nozzle shuts off :P

Wouldn't be without them. I've got the Stihl ones for fuel and for chain oil but there are others: -

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/consumables/fuel-cans-accessories/fuel-oil-filling-systems/
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:52 pm

SimonFisher wrote: I've got the Stihl ones for fuel and for chain oil but there are others: -

]

yup, me too :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby ballibeg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:42 pm

You're an antivert for Husqvana!

Shame the saw has left you feeling so disappointed. Supplying the right bar is a basic a dealer should get right. Did you buy the saw new?

Dave
ballibeg

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:50 pm

ballibeg wrote:You're an antivert for Husqvana!

Shame the saw has left you feeling so disappointed. Supplying the right bar is a basic a dealer should get right. Did you buy the saw new?

Dave

yup, back when I first joined here (as ratcatcher) I bought the chinese import and posted about it here, I was told how stupid I was, that this imported chainsaw would kill or maim me, and was given a link to the husky, which I bought, so then having a tree feller in to correct a tree I had failed to drop, he told me that the import was a half decent tool, I decided to keep both, and run them both side by side and do a review,

the import has since had the 20" bar replaced with a 14" husqvana bar and chain, so is known as the "widow maker hybrid" and as stated, is still going strong, never let me down, and not cut off any of my limbs
the husky is sitting in the shed, awaiting my attention, yet again

this is the type of import, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281345101253? ... EBIDX%3AIT
if mine breaks anytime soon, it'll simply get replaced rather than repaired, at that price, it can get left at the woods too
Dexter's Shed

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance