Small Woodland Owners' Group

garden mower, FAO OLDCLAYPAWS

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: garden mower, FAO OLDCLAYPAWS

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:38 am

I'm looking forward to getting this one over too, having the grass cutting attachments will help on the rides, I suppose theres pro's and con's to cutting them, in the summer they will still get left to go wild, as lots of flowers grow that the bees feed on, and I reckon cutting back in autumn/winter will help spread any seed pod's around, the other point is dog walkers on the public footpath, I'm thinking they may see overgrown as meaning that no one is around, where as seeing mown rides may make them more weary about leaving the footpath as they sometimes do.

I have found, that you can teach an old dog new tricks, months ago I picked up an arc welder in aldi's, as I'd always fancied having a go at welding, but a neighbour who welds for a living said that I would never be able to do it, as my disability in my left hand makes it "shake" so the rod wouldn't work. well proved him wrong, used my right hand :lol: feels odd and that tremor still shows through, but after watching you tube on how to do it, it's easy, this mower needed a couple of welds doing, next will be a camp fire cooking stand

http://youtu.be/UHdJp5XWaOE
Dexter's Shed

Postby Binz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:20 pm

not too good for the woods, but a one of a kind for a collector of odd mowers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MADE-CYL ... 3397b92f66
Binz

Postby smojo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:26 am

Did you know, there's a lawnmower museum in Southport? Sounds really geeky but we visited it last year and it was a fascinating place. It's above a garden tool shop and I think it costs 50p or something to get in. If you're ever out that way, check it out.
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:58 am

I think its just a way of the garden shop making a few bob from the broken Chinese ones that people return or abandon. :lol:

I did encounter a couple with a rather exasperated wife, the husband had decided to collect old lawnmowers, he was up to about 30 and travelled the country looking for them at auction. 'Spose there are worse vices, he could have gone for collecting mistresses or venomous snakes.
oldclaypaws

Re: lawnmower museum

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 pm

smojo wrote:Did you know, there's a lawnmower museum in Southport?

Not just any lawnmower museum, it's the British Lawnmower Museum - http://www.lawnmowerworld.co.uk/.
SimonFisher

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance