Small Woodland Owners' Group

Stihl MS171 Chainsaw

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Stihl MS171 Chainsaw

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:34 pm

I have 2 large Husquavarna chainsaws which I am really happy with but a few months back Mole Valley Farmers had a special offer on the Stihl MS171 chainsaw with a 12" bar for £150 including a sharpening kit.
I thought this would be ideal for keeping in the van so I always have a chainsaw with me and also for delimbing so I treated myself to one.
6 months on and it has become my favourite saw, the main reason is that it is so light that I can use it for hours without getting backache.
Its a small engine but the width of the chain is so small that its like a knife through hot butter. The MS171 has a highly efficient engine so a tank of fuel seems to last ages.
The fuel and oil tanks are semi opaque so you can see the levels at a glance and the filler caps are quarter turn toolless so easy to undo with gloves on.
There is a lot of plastic in the saw which is why it is so light but it seems tough enough, my only criticism is the dog teeth are moulded in to the front of the saw, not that they serve much purpose on a saw this size.
I won't be getting rid of my larger saws, but the MS171 is the one that is getting the most use at the moment which means I don't have to soak for an hour in a Radox bath when I get home!
All in all £150 well spent.
http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/C ... S-171.aspx
Wendelspanswick

Re: Stihl MS171 Chainsaw

Postby Mooresey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:19 pm

I have just bought a stihl ms210c from fleebay, great little saw, really lightweight, and cuts really well.
Mooresey

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance