Small Woodland Owners' Group

Who Services Your Chainsaw?

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Who Services Your Chainsaw?

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Curious to find out how many people on the forum service/tune their own saw and how many get their saw serviced at a dealers?
The reason I ask is that a neighbour asked me to remove a biggish limb off of one of his trees, I know he has his own Stihl that he bought a couple of years ago so I asked what was wrong with it. He replied that he wasn't happy using it as the chain kept running all the time.
To cut a long story short the 'fault' with his saw was the tickover had crept up, easily sorted, but he had never adjusted the saw since buying it from new. He knows how to sharpen and tension the chain but that's it.
I always service and adjust my own saws, I was shown how when I took my chainsaw certs, it's not rocket science and only takes a couple of minutes.
What do others do?
Wendelspanswick

Re: Who Services Your Chainsaw?

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

service the husky myself, the chinky copy is now 15 months old and still going strong, if it makes it to 2yrs, I'll treat myself to another new one,lol
Dexter's Shed

Postby Rankinswood » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:30 am

This is somewhat troubling in that the first basic Lantra chainsaw course is to do with chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting and so anyone using a chainsaw should have the capability to adjust the saw.

Rankinswood
Rankinswood

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 am

Rankinswood wrote:This is somewhat troubling in that the first basic Lantra chainsaw course is to do with chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting and so anyone using a chainsaw should have the capability to adjust the saw.

Rankinswood

not everyone takes those courses though, the DIY'er who has a few trees to trim and buys his chainsaw from multiple outlets that don't advise it, or those of us that simply think it's a con, and get our training from friends and you tube
Dexter's Shed

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance