Small Woodland Owners' Group

Husqy 435 chainsaw

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Husqy 435 chainsaw

Postby smojo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

What do you reckon to the Husqy 435 for a newbie who just has small dia trees to fell and cut up. Seem to be available for just over £300
smojo

Re: Husqy 435 chainsaw

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:21 pm

40cc Husky or Stihl would be fine for what you have. There's little to chose between them, both are excellent.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Ta. Just read a review of the Husqy and it said they are prone to oil leaking when idle and difficulty starting when hot. Anyone care to comment?
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:15 pm

You'll find there are those who swear by Husky, and others that swear by Stihl, both camps think theirs are superior.

I've heard that Huskys run faster and cut quicker but might be a fraction less reliable when pushed. Stihl's are consequently maybe a bit slower, but more reliable workhorses. (This was the opinion of the guy at Radmores who claim to be one of the biggest chainsaw suppliers, not my own, I've never had a Husky to compare). The reputation among pros is complicated by the way some foresters supertune them and run them beyond the factory settings, pushing them to the limit & beyond. At the end of the day, both are very good and the first choice of professionals.

Didn't want to question your choice, but my first choice would be Stihl. You never hear of anyone using one of the big Huskys for milling, the MS 660 or 880 seem to be an almost universal preference. Echo also have a very solid reputation for reliability (Japanese), something like a cs420 might suit you. (40cc/£300), its another to consider.

Bear in mind you can't buy a Stihl over the web, you have to turn up in person so they can show you correct starting and safety procedure, although they have a wide dealer network ad will have someone up your way.
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:42 pm

ok, before I recommend chinese again, I will give a semi thumbs up to husky, I was swayed into buying the 14" 135 after buying a 20" chinky copy, and whilst it was in use it was the mutts nutts, I used them both side by side in the woods, to do a pro's and con's after a year, the chinky one started every time on first pull, even being left with petrol in for weeks on end, the husky would normally start after the 4th or 5th pull. they both had replacement chains put on them, although the husky needed it months before the copy
and now, at this moment in time the husky is sat in the garage, waiting for me to repair, and the copy is still going strong, for small logs and coppicing, I'd grab the husky, anything else the copy would be my first choice
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 pm

I have a 40cc Husky that I bought new in 1991, used at least monthly, and is still as reliable as when new.
Had to replace the ignition switch last year (a tenner), never had a problem starting it hot or cold. It's still on its original spark plug as well.
I have 2 Huskys and a Stihl and they are of a muchness when it comes to reliability and use.

I was told that Stihl have started to out source the manufacture of some of their small saws in the Far East, you can tell from the ID plate.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 pm

I'd be concerned about a model that had the following reviews;

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-435-16-Inch-40-9cc-Powered/product-reviews/B003CJTWCS

Assuming the comments are genuine and the saws purchased were also genuine, the fact only 1/2 the buyers were happy and 1/5 absolutely slated it with one star would make me consider a different manufacturer or model.
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 am

oldclaypaws wrote:I'd be concerned about a model that had the following reviews;

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-435-16-Inch-40-9cc-Powered/product-reviews/B003CJTWCS

Assuming the comments are genuine and the saws purchased were also genuine, the fact only 1/2 the buyers were happy and 1/5 absolutely slated it with one star would make me consider a different manufacturer or model.

I am always take the reviews with a pinch of salt, a point in question:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1UWQBRK9Y ... hisHelpful
Wendelspanswick

Postby smojo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:54 am

Ta everyone. I guess like a lot of things, older models were better made and so have been more reliable than newer ones. The revues on Amazon are a little off putting. I'm liking the Husqy on price alone, for some reason that model seems so much cheaper than similar ones by Stihl or even slightly higher spec Husqies. I've seen them for less than £300 now but that's not a good enough reason to buy is it - or is it? A similar spec Stihl like the 241 (similar engine size but more higher kW rating) are pushing £500 then the added pain in the bum of not selling them to you without a demo. How do these internet firms get around that one then?
smojo

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:05 am

When I bought my Stihl the shop just asked had I used a chainsaw before and then handed the box over.
The distance sellers use their own couriers who 'hand' the saw over.
Wendelspanswick

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance